Another stall? Really?

Christy R.
on 1/25/13 3:14 pm - AK

I am 9 months post op and the weight loss has really slowed down, well actually stopped for the last 3+weeks. I'm not doing anything different and am getting in my protein and liquids.  

It seems that I will loose good for a week and then stop for a couple and it has been this way for the last 2 months or so.  Does anyone else seem to stall a lot? ( I know that we all have a different definition for a "stall" but I don't know that else to call it)

I have come a long way but I also have quite a bit to go and at this rate it feels like it will take forever!

Thanks!

Christy 

Age: 36, Height: 5' 5", Surgery Weight: 390, RNY Surgery Date 4/24/12 

Kaoz789
on 1/25/13 3:20 pm

Stalls...

All the time!  Wow 15 pounds a month average so far. I'm so jealous. I was around 9-10 pounds a month. Awesome!

Pittsteelers
on 1/25/13 6:36 pm - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I stall also and am almost 6 months out. You say you're not doing anything different. Maybe you should. Change up your routine, try different foods, change your workout routine. I know what works for me when I'm on a stall and that is to up my carb intake for a day or 2. Good luck. You are doing great with your weight loss!!!!

Sara O.
on 1/25/13 9:41 pm - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

I'm the same way. I lose a few pounds in a week and then stall for 3 weeks. It sucks, but it is what it is. I knew it would slow down eventually so I'm not concerned. Don't worry about the rate at which you lose. Staying on track is way more important. Keep up the good work. :)

karenp8
on 1/25/13 10:03 pm - Brighton, IL

I am about 6 months out and my weight loss had slowed down to a pound a week so I fixed up my exercise and lost 5 pounds one week and 4 the next. Hang in there,mix some things up and the scale will move soon.

Mary Catherine
on 1/26/13 12:29 am

You still have at least nine more months of your honeymoon period, so take full advantage of it.  Many people just drift through these last months with losing little or no more weight.  They are happy that they are not gaining.  The automatic part of the surgery is pretty much over by now, so it is time to make a massive effort to get the rest of the weight off.

It will take a lot of work, but you can definitely do it.  Track every calorie, weigh yourself at least once a day, and increase your exercise as much as possible.  You are training for the rest of your life.  Use these next nine months wisely.  You already know that you have the ability to lose 100 pounds without surgery.  How long did it take you to do that?

Surgery is so easy at first, but the body adjusts.  Your pouch is bigger every day now and your intestines are learning how to absorb more calories.  Because you can eat more food and because your body is absorbing better, weight loss from the surgery slows to little or none.  What usually happens is that people stay the same weight until the end of their honeymoon period, then are shocked when regain begins.

Find a program, join a gym, use online tracking, do what it takes.  It will be a lot of work, but it will never again be as easy to lose weight as during the next nine months.  Everyday your pouch is getting bigger and your intestines are absorbing more food.  It will be a battle, but you can be one of the people who make it to goal and stay there.  I know that is what you want and I am telling you that it is completely possible for you to do that.  To get to your goal or ten or twenty pounds under your goal, to have the extra cushion when the bounceback regain period begins so that you end up at your goal, and then to maintain your goal weight for the rest of your life.  I am not saying it will be easy, but that it will be so worth it.

If you are not already doing it, this is a great time for using weights to workout.  It will build lots of smooth muscle that will disguise any loose skin and make your body look and feel so much better at your goal weight.

Sheila W.
on 1/26/13 2:42 am
Christy R.
on 1/26/13 7:13 am - AK

Thank you to everyone for the encouragement.  I have to tell myself often that I didn't gain it overnight and I'm not going to loose it overnight either!  :)

Age: 36, Height: 5' 5", Surgery Weight: 390, RNY Surgery Date 4/24/12 

abrannume
on 1/28/13 2:58 am, edited 1/28/13 2:59 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

I had surgery about 20 days before you did so we are right around the same time frame.  I was in a stall so long that I thought I was done losing LOL.  But I increased my calories a bit and the scale starting moving again. I try not to concentrate on what the scale says, but rather how my clothes feel and today i wore a pair of size 8 dress pants and they fit pretty comfortably.  Right now I am anywhere between 145 and 149 and about 15lbs( give or take a few) from my goal.  It does seem like "forever", but we will get there.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 380 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 372 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 314 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics