Surgery in 2 weeks..... Very sure of the surgery, just unsure about everything else

Cloverjezz
on 1/27/13 7:18 am

Hi all, I am two weeks away from surgery.  I have never spent a night in the hospital and am kind of nervous.  So did most people take pajama pants to wear after surgery or do I need a night gown? 

Will they tell me at the hospital when I can get up and walk around?

Any tips or hints that anyone has would be great. Everyone that posts seems to know what's going on, but I still feel unsure so I would appreciate anything anyone has to say.

Thanks all..... I hope the two weeks goes by quickly!

poet_kelly
on 1/27/13 7:27 am - OH

I just wore the hospital gowns.  Easier, plus if my incisions leaked, it didn't get my clothes messy.  You can ask for a second gown and put it on backwards like a robe.  You'll probably have a foley catheter in at first so pajama pants wouldn't work well, but you could wear your own nightgown if you prefer.

The nurses will encourage you to get up and walk, but if you want to get up before they do that, ask them,  Don't try to get up on your own, especially the first time.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Michelle H.
on 1/27/13 7:33 am
RNY on 01/24/13
I am sure every hospital is different, but I put yoga pants on as soon as I got back to my room. Then I asked when I could get up. They said anytime I wanted. They helped me the first time. I had to haul my IV pole around. When I wanted to walk the nurse would unplug my IV and I would take it with me down the hall. Don't take a lot of stuff with you, you won't need it. I used my headphones, my phone charger and my Chapstick. That was about it. I brought a T- shirt and yoga pants and slip on shoes to wear home. The hospital had the other toiletries.

Good luck, it will be here before you know it!

happygrandma
on 1/27/13 8:22 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I took too much stuff.  I took my Kindle but didn't feel like reading.  I took my slippers, so much better to walk in - and socks because my feet are always cold.  I had the Foley catheter for the first night but after that was glad that I had brought extra underwear.  I wore the hospital gown (and one backwards for walking).  I took my own robe but they don't work with the IV - they can snap the arm on with the hospital gown.  I took my own lotion and toothbrush but they will give you that stuff.  They said I could bring my laptop but I really had no interest in that.  Pajama pants or yoga pants would be good for walking.  I wore sweat pants and a t-shirt to the hospital and the same ones home.  

Like everyone else said, ask before you get up if they don't ask first.  I got to my room in the evening and didn't get up until the next day. Don't be afraid to ask for whatever you need, that's what they are there for.  And they'll be in and out of your room a lot.

Good luck and welcome to a wonderful journey.

JanBooth
on 1/27/13 9:57 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I took gowns and a robe, but didn't wear my own until the next day.  I wore the hospital gown with one backwards for a robe.  They gave me nonskid socks, but I had slippers, too. 
In the hospital, I was hot!  Terribly hot.  After coming home, I was just the opposite....freezing cold!  It's hard to tell how you will feel. 
I never had pants while in the hospital.  I'm not sure how the waistband would feel on the tummy incisions?  Also, you will probably have a foley catheter with a bedside bag and an IV that makes wearing your clothes difficult to put on and take off.  I did wear loose fitting sweat pants to and from the hospital. 
My time was spent sleeping, walking the halls, watching TV, using my pain pump (my favorite activity), and some puzzle books.  After my pain pump was removed, sipping on drinks became my next favorite activity.  I took my Nook, but never really used it.  Oh, and my cell phone...I did use that!
Good luck to you! 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Fr33P4m
on 1/27/13 10:20 am
RNY on 12/04/12 with

I took a pair of pajamas that had a button down top. I woke up without a drain or a catheter and I was in my pjs and sitting up by the time the surgeons came to check on me. I was more comfortable walking around the hallways in my pjs. I did have to have someone unhook me from the leg things whenever I wanted to walk. 

[Highest: 295] [Surgery Day: 264]  [Goal: 150] ​[Height: 5'61/2"]          

garnetgal
on 1/27/13 10:37 am - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12

I took my own slippers, chapstick, my I-Pad, brush, comb and toothbrush. I wore the hospital gown (with a 2nd one backwards as a robe) and they supplied everything else. When I was brought to my room from recovery they immediately had me walk into the bathroom to urinate (I didn't have a catheter) I was walking the hall slowly the first night and every chance I got after that. Try to find some Burt's Bee chapstick, it's all natural. Oh, and I brought a teddy bear to hold against my stomach on the way home from the hospital!

bigtreats
on 1/27/13 1:36 pm - TX
RNY on 11/20/12

I really didn't take anything but a robe and house shoes.  The clothes I wore to the hospital is what i wore home.  I only spent one day in the hospital.  I recommend packing light.

kathyshrinks
on 1/27/13 1:38 pm - WA
RNY on 01/18/12

I didn't wear my own clothes, as they wouldn't work with the IV and the catheter.  I wore lose yoga pants and a t-shirt to go home.  All I needed was chapstick, lotion, and *light* reading material.  I was way too dopey to read anything heavy.  The nurses told me when it was time to take my first walk, and then after that, I told them when I wanted to take a walk.

karenp8
on 1/27/13 10:12 pm - Brighton, IL

I didn't take much to the hospital with me because I was only there overnight. I took my cell phone and charger and some light reading. I wore loose sweats and a T-shirt there and wore the same clothes home. I left a pillow in the car for the ride home to keep the seatbelt from rubbing on my bruised stomach. I had no cathter when I woke up but did have an IV. I wore a hospital gown and another backwards as a robe. I didn't wait for my nurses to tell me when to walk-I told them I was ready. They walked with me the first time. I watched them unplug the IV pump from the wall so I could do it myself. I had bad nursing care and had to go to desk several times for my IV because they would answer when I turned on my light but my nurse would never come,so it's a good thing I got up and walked on my own! I was thrilled to go home!