Changing Tastes

Lori F.
on 1/29/13 11:34 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
So I know from reading on here that a lot of people experience changing tastes after surgery. What I don't know is, is it permanent? Right now, I can't stomach anything sweet. Even the smell of chocolate makes me nauseous! I have a hard time doing protein shakes because I can't get past the sweetness of them. Even peanut butter tastes and smells gross. I do okay with apples and mandarin oranges, and black berries were good too - but those are more tart than sweet.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

TXKashmir
on 1/30/13 12:07 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I can only speak for myself here - obviously, just like everything else, everyone's different. My experience was the opposite, in that, things I used to hate, I now really like. And yes, four years later, I still like those things.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

Lori F.
on 1/30/13 12:11 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
I've got that going on too. I used to hate spicy and now can't get enough of it

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way

Karen518
on 1/30/13 12:17 am

I am a dedicated coffee drinker and couldn't stomach any version of coffee for about two months after surgery.  My sense of smell was much more sensitive, and lots of things didn't taste the same.  I'm now almost seven months out and everything is either back to normal or I've adjusted and don't notice anymore.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/13 1:34 am

My aversion to sweets wasn't permanent, but I don't have the same intense longing for them that I did presurgery. Turkey and I are still mortal enemies, though, which I don't consider to be a big loss.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Scherrie Tappin
on 1/30/13 1:45 am - CT

I had an aversion to sweets after surgery and I could not stomach the protein shakes or Crystal lite!!  Now I just started using Crystal lite and it's okay.  I couldn't eat anything with nuts of any kind before the surgery, now I do!!   Also, I can eat candy, chocolate included, but I don't have that same addictive desire to consume lots of sweets of any type, like candies, cake, pie, etc.  Which is really good for me, because I was super ADDICTED TO THAT STUFF!!

I'm about 21 months out and for the most part, everything I experienced right after surgery has gone away and even the negative feelings I had right after the surgery are gone, gone, gone!! I'm so happy that I had this surgery!! So happy! And you will be too! Hang in there!!  It gets so much better!

RNY 5/25/2011                        
Lori F.
on 1/30/13 3:45 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
Thanks for the feedback everyone - I am actually hoping this sticks...well, except for the nausea from smells part

RebeccaElise
on 1/30/13 3:58 am - Quincy, MA

I'm about 7 weeks PO and I've noticed that while I still really like beef, I'm not as in love with it as I used to be (I used to LOVE beef). Also, I used to hate lentils (I called them little pieces of dirt because that's how they tasted to me), but now I not only LOVE them, I get cravings for them! Weird, I know. I also get cravings for fresh fruit, which never used to happen. I've always liked fresh fruit and before surgery I'd get cravings for veggies, but never fruit. Sweet things do taste a little sweeter...I use less splenda than I used to. And high fat things aren't as attractive to me as they used to be (I never really had a sweet tooth, I had a salt/fat tooth.)

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Most Active
Recent Topics