out of control taste buds!

Jen S.
on 1/31/13 1:18 pm

My taste buds are going crazy, and subsequently making me feel crazy! Food either tastes way too salty or extremely sweet. The only food to not do that to me is steamed/mashed zucchini, which I thought was the best thing I have ever tasted. One day the Unjury chicken soup tastes bland and then the next day tastes like a salt lick. I have to choke down protein shakes because the sweetness is nauseating. I am only 2 weeks post-op. How long does this last for people? Did anyone find a protein powder that wasn't extremely sweet? I really liked the unjury chicken soup in the beginning but I can't take the saltiness much longer - and I bought 3 cases of it!

Amanda M.
on 1/31/13 2:31 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
I had surgery the day after you. I am having a really hard time with my shakes too. I tried a chicken broth from BA (I think), and it was terrible! I took one sip and dumped the rest. I am glad I got samples!

I added pumpkin pie spice and cinammon to my vanilla shake and it helped make it more tolerable. Didnt tame the sickly sweetness, but at least made it less troublesome to drink.

If your plan allows it, add some fruit to your shake. Maybe blueberries or strawberries, something a bit more tart. Unfortunately, I am not allowed to blend in any fruit. With chocolate shakes, I sometimes added peppermint extract. That helped tone down the shake a bit.

Good luck!

Kat Kat
on 1/31/13 5:59 pm - AZ

This phase varies between people, and sometimes the end results are surprisingly wonderful in that you may actually prefer healthier choices than you did pre-op. When I started this journey, I never imagined I'd end up preferring a salad for dinner over spaghetti with a side of garlic bread.

For now, you might try cooking up some homemade soup with lots of meat, and your favorite vegetables. Once you have a batch all made, strain out the solids, and freeze the broth in small amounts. On those days when everything tastes salty, or sweet you can heat some up, and add unflavored protein powder to it.

Kat

Lori F.
on 1/31/13 7:14 pm - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
Ugh - I have been the exact same way. The only protein shake I can tolerate so far is Nectar Cappuccino. Not too sweet, not chocolate, not too coffee-flavored. Just right lol

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

losing-lisa
on 2/1/13 12:25 am - Stevens Point, WI
RNY on 10/31/12

That's my favorite too!  I have it for breakfast pretty much every day.  kiss

Lisa K
Post-op RNY - 10/31/2012

Jen S.
on 2/1/13 4:42 am

Thanks everyone for the advice! I can't wait to get to solid foods and decrease my reliance on these protein supplements. I really want to add coffee to my morning protein shake but my surgeon doesn't allow caffeine in the beginning. I think it would really take the edge off the sweetness and add more depth of flavor. For now I am adding PB2 but it is still hard for me to drink. I had heard that tastes/cravings change but I didn't realize how extreme it would be. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 55 replies · 485 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 412 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 399 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 342 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 176 views
Recent Topics