Wife has date set for VSG, Now I'm scared!

d_mac682
on 1/31/13 11:32 pm - Gilbert, AZ
RNY on 04/26/12

I had my RNY in April of last year, and she will have her VSG this coming April. I am really happy for her, but a bit nervous as well. For whatever dumb reason I am scared to lose my wife from complications or whatever. Having WLS was a blessing to me and I know it will be for her too. Anyone else here have a spouse go through WLS surgery, and you had these thoughts or feelings? What did you do?

poet_kelly
on 1/31/13 11:58 pm - OH

I haven't had that experience myself, but I imagine it's pretty normal.  Although complications, especially really serious ones, are rare, they can happen.  What made you feel safe having surgery yourself?  Perhaps the same things will help you feel less worried about your wife.  You could also go with her to see her surgeon and talk to him/her about how often he or she has seen serious complications, surgery related deaths, etc.  The answers will probably reassure you.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

wmamey
on 2/1/13 12:14 am
RNY on 06/18/12
I think you have this posted at the bottom of your ticker...
Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive about what could go right.
I hope all goes well for the both of you.

Capt_Kirk
on 2/1/13 12:24 am - WA
RNY on 06/12/12

My wife and I both had WLS.  I had the RNY in June of 2012 and my wife had her VSG done in August of 2012.  While I did not have any complications, my wife had 4 recurrent strictures that has finally been fixed with a mixture of 3 metal stents being placed and a botox injection into her esophegus.  

My thought (and her thoughts as well) is that we'd go through it all over again.  During the 4 month complication period my wife lost her entire excess weight, essentially dropping 100 pounds in 4 months.  It was extremely unhealthy and scary at times, but she is doing great now.

The biggest thing to remind you is if you do have complications, YOU need to drive the healthcare for your wife.  She will not be completely aware of everything that you are and ultimately you can reach out to other resources (this board and other doctors) and drive change.

If you, or your wife have specific questions, please feel free to respond to me here or PM me.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 306 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 351 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 308 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 306 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 76 views
Recent Topics