Rice cooker questions???

grmadeb01
on 2/6/13 9:54 am - FL

I know that most of us that have had surgery dont eat alot of rice..i personally dont care for it...did not before sugery..but my hubby likes it and we just spent a week in lousiana and came home with LOTS of cajuin seasonings...but most of their stuff calls for rice...i will be going to school nights so am thinking i would like to make hubby dinner using some of these spices and such and rice, he can eat while i am gone...i will be going 4 nights a week...

so my question is...do you have a rice cooker? if so which brand, how big, does it cook brown rice?? i was planning on making brown rice instead of the white rice....

I have been looking at the Aroma ARC 914 digital model..but it said it takes about an hour to cook brown rice....i saw a reveiw on you tube about this model....my sister in law has a digital one but hers has a regular glass lid like a crock pot....I dont want to plan to spend big bucks on this rice cooker....

thanks for any help you have on this....i dont plan to eat the rice..but i will eat the sauces and such unless its too cajuin and spicey....

have a great blessed day

debby

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/6/13 10:01 am - OH

Even before I had surgery, I never saw a need for a special cooker for rice. Just a way to get people to spend money unnecessarily, IMO. It's not like it is difficult to just cook in a saucepan or regular pot, after all.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SoCaPinkLady
on 2/6/13 10:21 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I do have a rice cooker. I never could keep it from burning on the stove. It makes rice very nicely. I don't think it takes much more than 20 minutes to make. I have a Cheap $15 Black and Decker one. It makes about 4 cups and you can use it to steam veggies in but I never used it for that.

Lori                               

suzyq1966
on 2/6/13 10:39 am - NJ
I also have the cheap model, but it is a bit of a hustle to store, and clean. I guess yu can microwave long grain rice too. Good luck
thynnlynn
on 2/6/13 12:17 pm - MI

Rice cooks so easily in the microwave that I cannot see a reason to buy another appliance to have to keep hauling out.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

cajungirl
on 2/6/13 12:36 pm
From a Cajun we love our rice pots. I have a 10 cup Black and Decker but I also have a microwave rice pot I bought at Walmart ($15 bucks or so) that gets used mostly.

I recommend the microwave pot super easy to use and clean.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Day_dream_believer
on 2/7/13 5:00 am, edited 2/7/13 5:01 am

I love my rice cooker. it is a Zojirushi.  I am not sure if you can get that kind here.  We got ours in Japan.  We have had it for over 12 years and still use it several times a week.  You can do brown rice in it.  It will also keep rice warm for 12 hours.  After eating rice made in a rice cooker I will never eat cheap minute rice again.  

ETA ours makes about 10 cups, but you can make any amount you want.  Perfect for when I am making sushi for a large group of people.  It is really easy to clean.  The top comes out and we wipe it down.