Where did my sex drive go?? Advice from the ladies, please

icnside
on 2/11/13 1:35 am - Chesapeake, VA

I am 49 years old and I have always had a pretty healthy sex drive. In the past couple of months I feel like it has all but disappeared. I had WLS 7 months ago and have lost 75 of my desired 105 lbs. I don't know if it is just my wonderful age kicking in or something related to the surgery. i go see my GYN next month, but I was wondering if anyone else in the same age range has experienced the same thing?

AprilM1969
on 2/11/13 1:57 am - OH

I'm 43 and almost 1 yr post op before surgery I had a really healthy sex drive and now it's gotten even better lol!  Not sure if it's because I have more energy or what but it's definitely increased!

Sarah R.
on 2/11/13 1:59 am

Mine went poof! until around my 14th month out...its back now. Completely normal really it seems

Oxford Comma Hag
on 2/11/13 2:04 am

Mine disappeared as well for several months but seems to be rallying now. I am a bit younger than you. I have heard quite a few post ops say this (women post ops, that is).

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

nikimona
on 2/11/13 4:55 am - FL

I know how you feel. I am 32 and 4 months post op. I have no desire for sex. My husband and I are on the verge of a divorce. I have tried so many things but nothing seems to work.  

RonSudol
on 2/11/13 5:06 am - NJ

i dunno.. thats weird

a few of the female RNY'ers i know seem to carry a pretty good sex drive..   Then again i am no doctor !

---------------(Starting Weight - 365) ------------ (Current Weight - 165) ------------    

Sara L.
on 2/11/13 5:54 am

Sometimes the weight loss can cause some upheaval in your hormones, which can affect your sex drive. A reduced sex drive isn't necessarily something to panic about -- I think it happens to every woman sometimes. I went through a phase where my sex drive was diminished; I was having trouble feeling comfortable in my body and in how other people were reacting to my "new" body. I actually struggled for a while with my husband's sudden interest -- at first I loved it, then I resented it because I felt like he suddenly valued me more because there was less of me. Eventually we talked about it, so I understood where he was coming from and he understood where I was coming from and how I felt. As I got more comfortable in my own skin, my sex drive came back.

As someone with no mental health or healthcare credentials, sometimes you just have to "fake it until you make it", so to speak. If you absolutely can't, it might not hurt to talk to a mental health professional. Body image issues or difficulty adjusting to other aspects of post-WLS life may be showing up in the bedroom.

Laura in Texas
on 2/11/13 6:28 am

Are you self-conscious because of excess skin??? I'm 46 and my drive has always been strong, but before plastics, I'll admit I was very self-conscious of my excess skin even though I knew my boyfriend loved me "as-is".

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

icnside
on 2/11/13 7:21 pm - Chesapeake, VA

I am hoping it is temporary... darn it, I am going to force it to be! And yes, fake it till you make it will be the way. Thank for the comments everyone.

Most Active
Recent Topics