Starting to panic......Hair loss

KrisW47
on 2/17/13 2:24 am

I am 3 1/2 months out from surgery. I take my vitamins, get my protein and water and follow my doctors directions. At about 2 1/2 months I started losing some hair. No big deal, I thought, I have thick hair.  Now my hair is thinning and it looks great, however, I am starting to panic because every day I still get a handful of hair when I shower and today was more than normal.  When will this stop and has anybody lost enough hair that they have needed to resort to a wig?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/17/13 2:41 am - OH

Very occasionally, people do lose enough that they opt for wigs, but for the vast majority of people, it doesn;t get that bad.  I have just an average amount of hair and it is baby fine.  I lost fully HALF of my hair (based on ponytail thickness).  I just cut it twice to keep it looking as full as possible.  Yes, people DID notice (although many either did not, or did not say anything), but wearing a wig every day isn't good for your hair, and they often look fake to me.  Keep in mind that your face will be getting smaller, so you can lose a lot of hair before people will notice.

The hair loss usually lasts 5-6 months in varying degrees.  Mine did not start until almost the end of month 3 and then did not quit until month 9.  It varies from person to person, but mine was falling out like crazy (and I WAS starting to panic because there was no "sign" of it stopping and I had lost so much already) and then it just suddenly stopped.  A couple fo weeks later, there were lots of little tiny new hairs poking up on the crown of my head.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

exohexoh
on 2/17/13 2:46 am - West Chester, PA

llke lora i lost about 1/2 of my hair in thickness. it seems to start re-growing but still hasn't grown full-length. it's fine for most days as my hair started out ridiculously thick (for shoulder length hair i needed 2 boxes of hair dye), so it's much more manageable now. i think for my sister's wedding i'll get some extensions to make it thicker for the hair style i want, but it's not an issue for everyday

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

camelon
on 2/17/13 3:05 am

I am a little more then 2 months out.  I am loosing lots of hair.  My hair was thinner to begin with, I think I'm going to gegt a hair cut and make the best of it:)  Good luck!

thynnlynn
on 2/17/13 3:15 am - MI

My hair is extremely thin to start.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

AnniesSS
on 2/17/13 3:39 am
RNY on 09/11/12

I'm just over 5 months out and started to lose hair around 2-3 months out.  It has slowed down a bit, and I'm not losing quite as much, but it seems that the stress from surgery causes many of us to lose hair.  I also ate all my protein, took my vitamins etc and still lost.  It's frustrating, but it's minor and will slow down and stop the loss.

Annie  HW 289   SW 257   GW 150

poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 3:46 am - OH

It usually falls out for about three months.  I've only heard of a few people that felt they needed a wig.  I know I lost a lot, but I didn't feel it was bad enough for a wig.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

daphneb
on 2/17/13 4:42 am - AK

I was experiencing the same thing from about 3-5 months after surgery.  I too had super thick hair and figured I wouldn't freak out since I could stand to lose a bit anyway.  However, it is rather alarming when you comb your hair after the shower and see what's still left in the comb.  I upped my Biotin intake to 2000 ICU per day and eventually the hair loss slowed down.  My hair is a lot thinner that it used to be, but easier for me to take care of.  I had to play with my hair along the way to adjust my style as the front of my scalp thinned a little too much for my liking.  It worked.

Just ride it out, there's nothing we can do about it, it's part of the process.  I know, easier said than done.  Hang in there, it'll be worth it when this wild ride is over.

Good Luck!

KrisW47
on 2/17/13 6:42 am

Thanks everybody, I am so grateful for all your support!! I will try not to panic..........yet lol

anewbeginning2012
on 2/17/13 7:23 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I am 4 1/2 months out and started panicking about a month ago too. BUT, then after about 2 weeks it started coming out less...and now it has mellowed out and although I notice I am losing a little, it is not near what I was a month ago. I am hoping it start coming back in now. It's a fairly normal thing I think and it is only temporary thank GOD.

Kris        
Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 239 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views