Weak - Two Weeks Post-Op

SusieD48
on 2/25/13 12:32 am
RNY on 02/11/13

Has anyone else experienced severe weakness after their surgery?  I had my surgery on the 11th and I am just so exhausted and weak.  I am thinking it's because I am not getting enough protein in.  Having a really hard time getting the protein shakes down.  They are so gross.  Any suggestions for protein shakes that aren't too bad?

Lori F.
on 2/25/13 12:42 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

All you can do is keep trying brands until you find one you can tolerate.  I had the same problem with them.  Finally found one I could stomach, but I still don't really enjoy them.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

SusieD48
on 2/25/13 1:04 am
RNY on 02/11/13

Thanks Lori.

quiltpainter
on 2/25/13 1:22 am - CT

Unjury has very good protein shakes, several flavors available. They are only available online but well worth ordering.

chickiedoo123
on 2/25/13 1:26 am - MN
RNY on 08/22/12

I was very weak after my surgery........just be kind to yourself - rest when you need to and you will get your energy back - it takes time.  Maybe try drinking from a blender bottle - then you won't smell the drink - this was my problem after surgery.  You really do have to try different kinds of protein - I would suggest looking on-line and seeing if you can order samples....or check out a few stores and see what their return policy is for protein powder.  I know there is a store that allows you to return stuff but I can't think of it off of the top of my head.

Ellie                
selhard
on 2/25/13 1:31 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

I am 52 years old and surgery left me very tired.  At 2 weeks post-op, I was taking one or two long naps during the day, but at 3 months post-op, I don't feel the need to nap.  The protein shakes have gotten more tolerable, too.  Time, patience, feeling better, and getting stronger seem to make things go easier all the way around.  Best Wishes.

SusieD48
on 2/25/13 1:46 am
RNY on 02/11/13

Thank you everyone.  Glad to know I am not the only one that is experiencing these issues.

cajungirl
on 2/25/13 2:14 am

How much water are you getting in daily?  Dehydration will cause a host of problems including feeling weak.  Sipping on liquids is the most important thing (IMO) you should focus on right now getting in enough protein will happen just keep trying.  What type of protein drinks have you tried?

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

SusieD48
on 2/25/13 9:41 pm
RNY on 02/11/13

That is another struggle.  The having to stop drinking an hour before and not drink for an hour after eating is a real pain!!!!

RoyzgIrl
on 2/25/13 5:19 am

I am 18 months out from surgery, but I will tell you that I did indeed feel extremely weak and shaky after surgery, in fact it took me 7 weeks to return to work. I too had a difficult time drinking protein shakes and eventually just gave them up for good, My surgeon said as long as I tried to incorporate protein into my diet, I didn't have to use the protein shakes. I haven't and I've been ok!

I don't have a suggestion for protein drinks, I agree they are so gross! 

Christy

"the two most important days of your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why"