Sleeve to RNY revision on 3/11

rows4u
on 2/25/13 2:02 pm
Revision on 03/11/13
Sooooo why is it that as I post on the revision forum I have a billion people telling me not to revise to therny?? Makes me reallyscared and uneasy that in 2 weeks from today ill be fecovering from my revision? IM 31 WITH THREE kids and a special ed teacher with a boyfriend/fiance that works nights , a soccer coach and a special olympic coach ......if I can do all that why do I fear failing my weightloss again?? TO BE HONEST I dont have a support group besieds my fiance but hes always been fit and doesnt understand the emotions that arectied up with this nor does he understand that I'm saying goodbye to my best friend (chocolate) I need more support than that!!!!!!!

EAH
on 2/25/13 4:45 pm - CA

Why are you revising to an RNY and not a DS?? 

The sleeve is the first step in the DS procedure and frankly, unless you have acid reflux issues which would make the RNY a default surgery I would be asking your Dr. some serious questions right now.

Actually if your Dr. doesn't do DS  I would find another surgeon near you that does do DS.

Post on the DS board, there are some wonderful people there who can advise you on this.

rows4u
on 2/27/13 11:01 am
Revision on 03/11/13

I'm revising to the RNY becuase my BMI isn't high enough for insurance to cover. On top of that after discussing with many other DS patients that are actually people that are close to me in my life, 3/5 have bowel issues on a daily basis, as well as some other issues. I've talked to 3 Dr's and I'm very happy with the dr I choose. I just think the RNY is a good choice for me.

southernlady5464
on 2/28/13 1:13 am

Why isn't your BMI high enough? Mine was all of a 35.2 when I had DS surgery covered by BCBSTN thru a Medicare policy (You can force insurance to cover the DS)

Bowel issues happen IF I eat too many carbs, otherwise I can easily get constipated not otherwise.

I went with the DS for several reasons..

1) I needed NSAIDS. Not allowed with RNY.

2) I did not want to dump and yes, I know only 30% do dump...too high a percentage for me.

3) I did not want to chance "late dumping" aka reactive hypoglycemia cause I already have it.

4) As a diabetic, I needed the best resolution an there are studies that almost 40% of resolved diabetes with the RNY redevelop diabetes later on... http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23161525

METHODS:

We conducted a retrospective cohort study of adults with uncontrolled or medication-controlled type 2 diabetes who underwent gastric bypass from 1995 to 2008 in three integrated health care delivery systems in the USA. Remission and relapse events were defined by diabetes medication use and clinical laboratory measures of glycemic control. We identified 4,434 adults with uncontrolled or medication-controlled type 2 diabetes who had gastric bypass.

RESULTS:

Overall, 68.2 % (95 % confidence interval [CI], 66 and 70 %) experienced an initial complete diabetes remission within 5 years after surgery. Among these, 35.1 % (95 % CI, 32 and 38 %) redeveloped diabetes within 5 years. The median duration of remission was 8.3 years. Significant predictors of complete remission and relapse were poor preoperative glycemic control, insulin use, and longer diabetes duration. Weight trajectories after surgery were significantly different for never remitters, relapsers, and durable remitters (p = 0.03).

CONCLUSIONS:

Gastric bypass surgery is associated with durable remission of type 2 diabetes in many but not all severely obese diabetic adults, and about one third experience a relapse within 5 years of initial remission.

You are halfway to a DS already, do your best to KEEP your pylorus!

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

MsBatt
on 2/28/13 7:49 am

Please sent the DSers you know with bowel issues here to the DS board---we CAN help them.

big42long
on 2/25/13 8:40 pm - OH
I had a revision from VSG to RNY! I had problems from the sleeve and only way to "fix" it was RNY. I had VSG May 9,2012 and RNY July 27,2012. I'm doing great!!!!

rows4u
on 2/27/13 11:02 am
Revision on 03/11/13

Thank you for your reply. It's nice to hear something POSITIVE instead of negativity about the RNY all the time.

EAH
on 2/27/13 8:08 pm - CA

Ummm,okay.....Let's try this again,

I read your profile-saw you never got close to your goal weight- plus had serious regain from your sleeve surgery, and figured you were desiring a surgery that had the highest success rate in terms of loss and maintenance-and BONUS!- just happens to be the SECOND STEP in the surgery you already had.

My bad.

By the way-    I'M GETTING THE RNY.....

so not bashing RNY, only offering you another-possibly better option for someone in your specific situation.

TXKashmir
on 2/25/13 10:00 pm - Grand Prairie, TX

While I'm sure the intentions here are good, and you appreciate the concern, I suspect it is posts similar to the above that you are asking folks to please not do. In that light, I just want to assure you that you will be fine, and enjoy great success, as most of us have done with the RNY. Stick with us here on the RNY board if you continue to be unsupported elsewhere. I can't wait to see the new you - best of luck for a quick and uneventful recovery!

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

rows4u
on 2/27/13 11:07 am
Revision on 03/11/13

Thank you so much for the support! I'm scared to death as it is and comments that make me second guess myself, even for a split second, gives an uneasy feeling! I start my liquid diet tomorrow even though the Dr said I only needed to do it 5 days before and my surgery is the 11th. I figured it's not going to hurt me to get a head start and loose an extra few pounds ahead of time! Wish me luck... lol and thanks again!!!!!! I need alllll the support I can get 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views