How many of you are on the 2 week preop liquid diet and how many of you are not?

honestlinzel
on 3/1/13 10:43 am - CA

I was not required to do a 2 week liquid diet. I feel so bad for the people who are on it. My surgeon believes that its a really unhealthy way to lose preop weight. Instead, they make you lose 5-10% body weight by 1 mother before your surgery date. If you have not done that, then they push the surgery back a month. I actually lost the weight in time and my surgery was pushed back because of insurance problems. I am still losing weight though.

I have to do 2 day bowel prep with liquids only 2 days before surgery though. I am sure I will be ultra crabby!

So tell me what diet you are on and how it is going

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

Kenni
on 3/1/13 10:56 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 04/10/13
I don't start my liquid diet until later this month, but I am required to do a two week liquid diet.
This isn't just to lose weight (although I've been told to expect a decent amount lost), but meant to shrink your liver before surgery.
Not everyone needs to do this, it depends on if you have a fatty liver or not. When they go in for surgery they want to be sure that they don't accidentally knick or cut your liver.

At least this is what I've been told!

I've started stocking up on my ensure drinks (5/day) and I'll be able to have things like broth and jello.
Because post op is full liquids as well, I won't be eating "regularly" for a whole month and after that its just soft foods!

http://chunkygirlkendra.blogspot.ca           

Surgery date: April 10, 2012    

Starting Weight: 386.0
Surgery Weight: 329.0

LadyLilMax
on 3/1/13 11:04 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

I am almost 3 months out from surgery but yes, I did have to do the 2 week liquid diet because I had the fatty liver.  Cannot remember now how much I lost before surgery but it wasn't too bad after the first 2-3 days.  However, I was sooo ready for the surgery when it came, LOL.  It is all worth it!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

_Islander_
on 3/1/13 10:58 am
RNY on 03/11/13

Neither my insurance, nor my doctor, required me to lose any weight prior to surgery. However, I am currently on a 10 day liquid liver reduction diet.

Day one is done .. so far so good.

honestlinzel
on 3/1/13 11:22 am - CA

well the reason I am required to lose 5-10% is for the same liver reason. The more you lose, the safer it is.

shedevilbecca
on 3/1/13 11:22 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

I have to do a 3 week ;liquid diet! My doctor requires a 2 phase diet. First phase is high protein veggies and NO carbs, sugar or dairy.  The second one is all liquid. I won't start the all liquid phase until may cause I can't have my surgery until June since that is our slower time at work.

honestlinzel
on 3/1/13 11:49 am - CA
On March 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM Pacific Time, shedevilbecca wrote:

I have to do a 3 week ;liquid diet! My doctor requires a 2 phase diet. First phase is high protein veggies and NO carbs, sugar or dairy.  The second one is all liquid. I won't start the all liquid phase until may cause I can't have my surgery until June since that is our slower time at work.

OH MY!!! That is crazy!

I don't know if I could last 3 weeks haha

shedevilbecca
on 3/1/13 11:51 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

Your telling me!!! I am trying to replace a meal a day right now with a protein drink.

Fr33P4m
on 3/1/13 12:34 pm
RNY on 12/04/12 with

No liquid diet, no bowel prep. Just told me not to eat after midnight the night before. I did have to keep a food journal before they would schedule for pre-op appointment. Which led me watching what I ate and to losing some weight. 

[Highest: 295] [Surgery Day: 264]  [Goal: 150] ​[Height: 5'61/2"]          

funkyphillygirl
on 3/1/13 1:30 pm

I didn't have to do any of that (and I am no 18 months out from RNY).  I am an insulin dependent diabetic, and my surgeon felt that it was much more important to keep my blood sugars stable and thought it would be too difficult to do that on any kind of special diet.  I was on lower carb diet for years prior to surgery, no sugar, etc., so he was not concerned about issues with a fatty liver.  All I had to do was fast after midnight before surgery.  I also vowed that I was not going to do any "last supper" stuff or anything that would set us both up for an unsuccessful surgery and kept to it.