self sabotage...why do we do it?

anewbeginning2012
on 3/20/13 2:32 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I have found the last 2 weeks I have been having self sabotaging behavior. Not to an extreme extend, but one to get me worried a little. It seems like the more compliments I get, the more I want to go off my plan. Not over eat, but just eat more junk food, than healthy food. Is anyone else experiencing this behavior. I have it stopped this week for the most part. Help me understand me cool

Kris        
MyLady Heidi
on 3/20/13 2:37 am

I think we all got MO because we didn't control that part of us that let the impulse to eat or overeat override our voice of reason.  Now my voice of reason screams, no ******g way, eat that and get fat again, all the time.  Sometimes I want to shoot her, but honestly its taken me years and really serious dumping to come to terms that some foods are dead to me forever and ever.  I ban food all the time and don't ever take them back.  It is just the way it is for me and long term success.

anewbeginning2012
on 3/20/13 2:50 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I need to realized I am worth banning foods that aren't good for me...and not take them back...even just a bite. Thanks for your input Heidi.

Kris        
Laura in Texas
on 3/20/13 2:41 am

Personally, I think many of us have been plagued by low self-esteem our whole lives and do not think we deserve to be thin.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

MyLady Heidi
on 3/20/13 3:12 am

Really?  I honestly never knew I was fat, I never had one dream where I was fat I was always completely normal in my head, yet that image in the mirror that was a foreigner I had no idea who she was.  I finally feel like the me inside = the me outside, now I just wish for the 20 years I wasted MO back.

Katie K.
on 3/20/13 3:24 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

I'm not severely obese in my head or in my reflection. I am severely obese in pictures and in reality.

Laura in Texas
on 3/20/13 9:06 am, edited 3/20/13 11:13 am

Yes. Low self-esteem and "victim" mentality. I see it all over these boards. Woe is me, I eat too much, I eat the wrong stuff, I don't exercise, I can't get to goal weight, I've gained back a ton of weight. I have such a tough life, blah blah, blah. Suck it up and just do what you need to do. I know I'm not sympathetic...lol.

Not everyone, of course, but a big percentage, in my not-so-humble opinion.

My advice is we all deserve to be thin and healthy and happy. Now do what it takes to get there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Day_dream_believer
on 3/20/13 2:45 am

I am sure everyone has different reasons for why they self sabotage.  i have found the closer I am to reaching a goal I will start to self sabotage.  I think it is fear of failure.  I have failed so many times in the past that I give up right before I find success.  That way I can tell myself that the reason I failed is because I ate that cookie or I didn't run enough.  My actions were why I failed rather than I am not good enough.  For example the first time I ran a 5K I started freaking out about a month before even though I had run 3 miles countless times on my own.  I found excuses not to exercise.  I pushed through it, accepted the fact that I was going to be nervous, and ran it anyway.  

I think the key is understanding that you are doing this.  That way when you have the urge to eat junk food you can remind yourself that you have worked to hard and it isn't worth it.

anewbeginning2012
on 3/20/13 2:55 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

You read my mind Day Dreamer... that is exactly how I feel.

I don't want to fail, but don't know how to act when I succeed...and get nervous when I get to that point where I can see that I am doing just that...succeeding. I have to learn to push through and realized I can and will do this. No more sabotaging myself!

Kris        
addict05
on 3/20/13 2:53 am - IL

I sure wish I understood it, because I can relate.  I am the number one expert at it and wish I could stop.  I can do well for maybe 3 days tops and then I'm off the wagon again.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views