Supplements or shampoos to help with hair loss?

newmom35
on 3/24/13 11:44 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12

I was just wondering what everyone suggests for supplements or shampoos that will help with the hair loss.

Also how long does it fall out for?

Thank you!

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

Melissa Nicely
on 3/24/13 11:49 am - Chesapeake, OH
RNY on 05/06/13

There's really nothing that you can take or put on your hair that will prevent the loss if it's going to happen or so I have been told. You can try taking Biotin supplement to help a little and you can try shampoo with tea tree oil in it will help somewhat as well.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/24/13 12:02 pm - OH

There is nothing you can do to stop whatever hair loss you are going to have.  (Google telogen effluvium to understand what it is and why no shampoo, etc. will help).  Basically, it is an interruption in the normal growth/resting cycle of your hair.  Some people believe that biotin helps with regrowth, but I have not seen any studies indicating that is true, and too much biotin can cause growth of excess facial hair.

be sure to get enough protein and all your vitamins, though, because protein and/or certain vitamin deficiencies can make the hair loss WORSE.

How long the hair loss continues varies but usually lasts about 4 months.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

newmom35
on 3/25/13 3:42 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12

Thats good to know about the Biotin. Don't want more facial hair! 

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs               

ToNewBeginnings
on 3/25/13 1:36 am

I think on average it starts falling out around the third month and can last up to the 9 month.

If it's going to happen it will. Follow your guidelines there's nothing you can buy that will help.

newmom35
on 3/25/13 3:40 pm - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12

Thanks for your replys. It has definately started to fall out. I just thought maybe some thickening shampoo would help hide it a bit.

Maybe in a month or two I will try a shorter, layered haircut that  some posts here have mentioned.

Surgery Dec. 19/12
HW - 348lbs
   SW 316lbs