Low blood sugar and low blood pressure

glad2balive
on 3/25/13 11:52 pm

Has anyone else had problems with these? What did you do? Thanks

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

siberiancat
on 3/26/13 2:21 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

My blood pressure is low, but the only problem is dizzyness if I'm bending over and get up too fast - so I just move slower.

I have reactive hypoglycemia.  I don't eat anything with 15 gm sugar or more by itself.  I have sugar (or carb that increases blood sugar) with a meal or if a snack - I always have protein and fat with the sugary food.  For instance - if I want a cookie - then I first eat a cheese stick, or some walnuts, or a boiled egg and THEN I have the sugary food.  The protein/fat will help slow the process of elevating blood sugar quickly.

I also don't eat high carb foods, junk food with processed carbs, and keep foods with sugar to 15gm or less per serving.  If you have severe problems you may want to keep sugar to 8gm or less per serving.  Just don't eat sugary item by itself or your blood sugar will spike and then drop!

Hope that helps.  Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

shoven21187
on 3/26/13 2:36 am - Saint Paul, MN

I had really bad problems with both! I had a condition pre op where my blood pressure would drop like a rock if I bent over or sometimes it seemed for no reason. I figured it would go away post op after losing weight but got worse in a different kind of way. I would stand up and actually black out. I heard that it would happen off and on forever pretty much from talking to people but mine has actually resolved. I am 2 years out with no problems with it anymore. Just try to remember to get up slowly!

More recently I developed blood sugar issues and it was all reactive. It got so bad that I was afraid to eat anything regardless of its makeup because I knew in an hour I would feel terrible! It turned out that it was all a part of my thyroid issues and it is mostly resolved now. But I do the same as the woman above, I always pair my carbs and sugar with a protein first. I also for a while used honey and cinnamon to help control it. I would put some in my morning smoothie and it really helped. I also use coconut oil as often as possible which is also said to help control blood sugar like the combination of honey and cinnamon. You could try either of those as they both worked for me...

glad2balive
on 3/26/13 3:16 am

Thank you ladies.

The happiness of your life depends on the quality of your thoughts.

In Christ

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/26/13 3:36 am - OH

I had normal blood pressure when I was SMO and now that I have lost the weight, it is low (usually right around 100 over low 60-something).  This doesn't cause a problem day to day unless I stand up too quickly from a reclining position (dizziness), but when I take pain meds, my BP drops even lower and I do have to be watchful for dizziness or unsteadiness (and it worries hospital staff no matter how much I try to reassure them that I am just fine).

I also have regular (as opposed to reactive) hypoglycemia.  I had a touch of it before surgery but it has increased since my RNY.  I am easily able to control it by eating 6-7 times a day and making sure every time I eat I have a combination of protein, carbs, and a little bit of fat. As long as I do hat, my blood sugar stays steady throughout the day.  I do have to have something to eat (or, more usually, a glass of milk) just before I go to bed so that I don't wake up shaky.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 466 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 425 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views