how do you get your fluids in?

iambrink
on 3/27/13 10:43 am

So I have spent the last hour reading previous posts about constipation. I told my husband, "i think i gave birth today"  and i was not referring to a baby!  I have a little unusual post-op because i did not have any BMs for about a week, then liquid for about 7 weeks because i was on tube feeds, two weeks of pencil thin soft stools and then finally normal BMs about 5 weeks ago.  I go regularly every 3 days, but it hurts and I have fissures. Fiber gives me severe cramps; Miralax doesn't work. I just took two ducolax.

One obvious trend was fluid intake. But how do you get it in?  I am 15 weeks post-op and i probably average about 40 oz a day.  I used to drink double that before surgery..now i just can't get in more than a few glasses unless i think about it every second of the day.  

So how do you do it?  when do you drink you fluids?  I am also guily of not eating fruits and vegets which i know is another issue. my diet relies heavily on milk and cheese which is another story!  right now i want to figure out how to increase my water.  one change at a time!

I would love to hear what works for you...

RNY 12/12; pre-op 243; current 165

MyLady Heidi
on 3/27/13 10:52 am

I carry 2 20 ounces cups with me filled with iced tea and lemon to start, and then fill them with water all day long.  If you take them everywhere you can train yourself to constantly sip.  I drink at least 80 ounces during the day at work, then more when I get home.

poet_kelly
on 3/27/13 10:59 am - OH

I drink constantly.  I carry my drink everywhere - to the bathroom when I'm going to take a shower, to the bedroom when I'm putting away laundry, in the car, etc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MrsLitch
on 3/27/13 11:55 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

the first thing I do after I wake up and potty is go grab a water bottle I drink it while I get ready for work and make my protein shake. If there is a little left when I leave the house I take it with me and drink it before I get in the door to work along with my protein shake. By the time I get to work at 8 I've drank 28 oz of water. If I don't do this in the morning I don't get my water in even though I feel like all I do is drink all day.

I also carry a full water into work with me and drink it throughout the day minus lunch and the hour after. I fill it up at the water cooler and take the bottle home and try to drink at least half of it on the way home. Once I'm home I open a fresh bottle and try to get in 2 more before bed.

Somedays I'm very thirsty and it's easy other days It's more of a struggle but I treat it like medicine I have to have it daily so somehow I have to do it and don't go to bed until it's in.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

BezoarGirl
on 3/27/13 12:37 pm - WA

Sometimes water that is not ice cold is easier to get down.  I also have water by the bed at night and if I wake up I drink the entire glass.  I really have to work at it but I have had some issues with BM also and that is what keeps me going. 

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

walterswife
on 3/27/13 3:33 pm

I carry water everywhere. I use the 8 or 16.9 oz. bottles so I can meek track of intake. I am constantly drinking. However, it took time for this to develop. Strive for a few ounces more than the day before. Be definite about it. 

Ha e you tried Mirilax

What are you going to do about the fissures?  That's bad news. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

daphneb
on 3/27/13 4:34 pm - AK

So, I think your fluids aren't terrible.  I think you need to add some fiber to your diet. Trust me, i had the same problem and now I eat apples nearly on a daily basis and I have no issues when it comes to BMs.  T.M.I., i know but it worried me too.  I had a six month follow-up with the Dietician and she mentioned something about fiber intake and said how important it was.  I was worried about the sugars/carbs and she said the good ones don't harm you, especially apples.

What I did at first was cut up a whole apple into slices and was only able to eat about half when I started.  Now, I can eat a whole apple and I count it as one of my snacks.  I have to up my protein in my other meals, but I feel so much better!  I work out a lot now too and I find the balance in diet is so important.  Don't get me wrong, I still focus on protein and fluids, but I have re-introduced veggies and fruits to my diet.  It's been a discovery for me, as I've had other sugar laden foods and other things I used to eat and I honestly don't like their taste anymore.  I prefer the healthier things.

Of course, I haven't dared to divulge in my one weakness pre-surgery, CHOCOLATE BARS.  Can't even go there, if I have one I'll be craving them all the time, so I stay away from them.  And diet cokes, haven't had one in nearly a year (wow!).

Try switching your diet around a bit too, it can get boring with milk and cheese. Throw in some refried beans and maybe some type of meats (like sliced hams or summer sausage). 

Good Luck!

iambrink
on 3/27/13 9:40 pm

Thanks for the great suggestions.  It really takes an effort to get in the fluids before it becomes habit.  So i will start today and try to get in more fluids in the morning and throughout the day; add some fruit/vegets and see where it leads me.  I am confident i will find the right combination.  I am just not sure what that looks like right now!

RNY 12/12; pre-op 243; current 165

thynnlynn
on 3/28/13 12:00 am - MI

I guess this is where having been a lifelong big water drinker has come in helpful.  I have not had any problems with my drinking or eating, for that matter.  I just make sure there is something to drink by my computer, by the recliner and there is always a glass in the kitchen and bathroom.

Re the bathroom issues.  You probably should not let yourself go too long as this can lead to other problems.  Perhaps add Benefiber to your drinks (there is no taste or texture).  I have issues with this because of the many meds I take for non WLS-related issues and have to take MoM every other day.  Before I started doing that, I had to incidents where I truly thought I was going to die, like Elvis did.  I did not want to found dead, bare-assed on the floor in front of the commode.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 363 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 198 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 118 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?