Birth Control

bdubs
on 3/31/13 1:12 pm

So as I am getting closer to my surgery date I need to get on some birth control. I have polycystic ovaries and blocked tubes so I have never had to really worry about any of that befor. Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on what has worked or not worked for them?

poet_kelly
on 3/31/13 1:18 pm - OH

I am currently using condoms and vaginal contraceptive film.  I am concerned about side effects of hormonal methods of birth control, plus my PCP feels they are contraindicated in my case since I have a family history of breast cancer.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

tarsanne
on 3/31/13 1:35 pm - MO
We have used natural family planning for over 20 years. I have taught it to help people avoid and achieve pregnancy. It is totally safe, no side effects, and immediately reversible. That being said we have a strong faith that God knows what He is doing and we are open to His will. I will admit it has been hard at times like when I was nursing and when some of us wanted to (him) and some of said its not a safe day (me). In fact that's how I got my last baby. He wasn't a surprise lol. It was user failure not method failure. Anyway, if you want to pm me I will be happy to tell you anything you want to know if you're interested.
(deactivated member)
on 3/31/13 1:51 pm - NY
I also have polycystic ovaries and before surgery I was using oral contraceptives to help regulate my periods. After surgery, the pills did nothing to regulate my cycle so my doctor switched me to the Depo shot. It seems to be working well and I have had no issues so far.
bdubs
on 3/31/13 1:57 pm

I am really torn between the shot and the pills. I am leaning more towards the shot. Just seems like it would be easier to get it over with lol. My biggest fear would to be to go into this sgery and then miraculously end up pregnant. I think I want to have a baby later on down the road but first I want to get some of this excess weight off so I can have a healthy pregnancy.

(deactivated member)
on 3/31/13 2:04 pm - NY
Same here. My surgeon wanted me on some form of contraceptive for at least 15 months following surgery (7 months out now). I plan on stopping them at that point and letting the chips fall where they may lol. My obgyn recommended Depo or Mirena since the pill seemed to have lost its effectiveness for me after surgery. Mirena kind of weirds me out so I am perfectly content going in for a shot every 3 months
Misty Morgan
on 3/31/13 3:11 pm - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
I am on the nuvaring and its working excellently. I personally hated the Depo shot as it wreaked havoc on my body and caused me to gain a lot of weight and for my cycles to completely spin out of control. Periods lasting six months to none at all.

Katie K.
on 3/31/13 5:44 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I LOVE the Depo shot. You'll have a long period to start with, but then it stops. No mess, no pms. You don't have to worry about missing a dose every day. I take it as a psych med. it got so bad that three weeks out of the month I wanted to strangle people just for existing.

The bad news. It will cause weight gain. It killed my libido, but that's a plus for me because I don't have the patience to date and that was the hardest part to deal with, being single. I've also heard that its difficult to impossible to get pregnant after stopping the shot. Also not a problem for me.
H.A.L.A B.
on 3/31/13 10:53 pm

f you have blocked tubes - is that 100% blocked? if yes - does the doc think thsi may change? 

100% blocked tubes - would mean that the sperm can't reach the egg. in which case- you may not need BC. 

In any other case - the NUVA ring - is another delivery method that may be good for you. google that,

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

krp123
on 4/1/13 5:04 am - Arlington, VA
RNY on 04/25/13

Are you referring to before or after surgery? I have been on the pill for four years and my surgeon told me I needed to get off hormonal birth control by 6 weeks prior to surgery and 6 weeks afterwards, as a precaution for blood clots. I have no history of clots, but they do it to be safe, so I would check with your surgeon before making any decisions, as they may not allow you to be on it. Afterwards, they say to use a back up form of birth control, like condoms for up to 10 months following surgery, as the weight loss will throw your hormones out of whack so the hormonal birth control may not work correctly anyway. When I do get back on birth control though, I think I will do the ring, as I have heard the pill might not be as affective after rny due to absorption issues, but I will be verifying that with my surgeon at my prop visit in a couple weeks.

Surgery: April 25th, 2013

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 470 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 429 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 361 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 445 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?