Starting over.

Jacqueline F.
on 4/4/13 12:50 am - Flagstaff, AZ

So depressingly enough I have gained back some of my weight. With some illness (Not WLS related) and lots of medications interfering with my ability to maintain my weight, as well as inactivity due to my illness, I have struggled the last couple of years. I had all but given up on trying to work on my weight let alone just simply living day to day but for a strong family support system kicking me in the hiney and telling me to get it together, I am going to give it a shot again.

ialdridge
on 4/4/13 1:02 am - Humble, TX
RNY on 04/08/13

You can do it !!!! Just stay strong!!!  We are all here for you.  laugh

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.comH.W. 312   S.W. 275.  C.W 231 RNY on 04/08/13

Jacqueline F.
on 4/4/13 1:17 am - Flagstaff, AZ

Thank You.

Have2laugh
on 4/4/13 1:09 am - Cheektowaga, NY

We are here for you! You can do it!

Andrea Durlak Buffalo NY surgery date April 11 2013 highest weight 278 pre surgery weight 276

Jacqueline F.
on 4/4/13 1:18 am - Flagstaff, AZ

Thank You.

Kim S.
on 4/4/13 1:09 am, edited 4/4/13 1:19 am - Helena, AL

I reply to at least 3 of these types of posts every week, and often the folks posting them aren't even as far out as me.  I'm going to share some tough love with you here, and no, I'm not being mean, I'm being honest.

First, let me commend you for reaching out for help from the WLS community.  Who understands you better than us??  You took the very first step in the right direction to start your WLS "rehab".  I am very empathetic toward you for the medical issues you've faced, and am I correct in assuming that those issues are now behind you and you are healthy and ready to get back to focusing on your weight?

We will all deal with curve balls in our lives.  And sometimes when it happens it requires us to remove our laser focus from our diet and exercise to other priorities.  You can never look at your eating and exercise plan as "all or nothing".  When you hit a bump in the road, do the best you can.  When you get to a point where you can once again focus on you, DO IT.  Selfishly even.  You need "me" time every single day.  Time to plan your menu and your workout, and time to actually do what you've planned. 

Get serious about it.  Schedule your life around it.  You can do it if you desire to do it.  There is a very important factor you are ignoring here.......YOU HOLD THE KEYS TO YOUR SUCCESS...........OR FAILURE.  Only you decide, and only you benefit or suffer from the choices you make.

You are blessed-it sounds like you've got a great support system at home!  So many folks don't and they have to really fight for "me" time.

Here's what I suggest (If you've seen this before, it is because I have it saved on my computer because I use it often!!)

1) Begin tracking everything you put into your mouth.  You can do that here on OH in the Health Tracker or on  mobile apps like myfitnesspal.com.

2) Determine your RMR http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

3) Set your daily caloric level at your RMR - 500.  This will set you up to lose 1 lb per week, which is the safest level to shoot for AND it will give you enough food so you don't feel deprived.

4) Make 100-120 grams of protein per day your goal.  I eat a 6-7 oz chicken breast grilled every single day.  That alone is 53 grams of protein, and it is real food so I feel full.

5) Eat 6-7 small meals each day.  This will keep your blood sugar level and will keep you feeling full.

6) Exercise.  Everyday.  At least 30 minutes.  If your heart rate is up and you are sweating, you are good. DO NOT make excuses about not having enough time.  You have the same 24 hours in a day that I have and I manage to do it.  It is about priorities.  YOU ARE WORTH THE EXTRA EFFORT.

7)  Follow the rules of your surgery.  Do not drink with meals and do not drink for at least 30 minutes afterward.  Limit simple carbs and sugar, but don't completely eliminate them.  If you do, you'll feel deprived, and we all know how well that has worked for us in the past.......

8)  Come here for support.  We are here for you.

Every hour of every day that you waste kicking yourself is an hour you could be concentrating on doing the right things.  You are worth it-you deserve the benefits of a healthy body, and more importantly, so does your family.  Don't you think it hurts them to see you feeling so down?  Take the bull by the horns and DO THIS.  You did it before, and you can do it now.  Please keep me posted on how you are doing!  Hugs

Jacqueline F.
on 4/4/13 1:28 am - Flagstaff, AZ

Thank you. 

As for your post I appreciate and will use most of it to fit my needs and keep me going. In response to your question regarding my health, the answer is no, I still am plagued with health issues, however, I have decided that they health issue is not going to get resolved so I can either wither away or suck it up because without some serious technology changes surgical repair is not an option for me.

I have an ongoing spinal fluid leak caused by a bone spur in my spinal canal that causes low to high pressures in my head day to day, thus causing severe positional headaches.  Due to it's location and complications neither Barrows or Mayo Clinic consider me a surgical canidate.

I tell you this not for sympathy but to give you a better understanding of why I ended up where I did.  So for exercise, I can walk but exertion IE heart rate increase is not an option for me at this point. 

All of that said for the rest of your response I do appreciate and will thus insert walking for strenuous exercise and do so within my physical limitations. Otherwise it seems to me the rest is doable, so thank you.

Kim S.
on 4/4/13 1:38 am - Helena, AL

See?  You are already on the way to success!  Make the lifestyle fit your needs.  You'll have to unfortunately monitor your food intake more closely because you cannot burn many calories through exercise.  Just be as active as your health allows, and NEVER push yourself!  You know your limitations better than anyone.  Even simple things, when you feel up to it, like parking in the back of the lot, or using stairs, benefit your body greatly.

You are obviously a very strong person!  To be able to deal with the ongoing health issues and still work on your weight loss--I am in awe!  You've got my respect!

Please let me know if I can help in any way.

Jacqueline F.
on 4/4/13 1:50 am - Flagstaff, AZ

Thank you

javanomor
on 4/4/13 1:23 am - Worcester, MA

I share your frustration.  I also had some medical issues with physical limitations.  I have been faithfully going to the gym every other day since Aug 2012 and have continued to gain.  I focus on protein, veggies and limit the carbs and the weight is coming back in the midsection.  Today I go for a physical and am totally freaked out at what the Dr. will say about the scale.  Calories in calories out.  I log into myfitnesspal.com and every day I am not eating enough or drinking enough water.  So what gives?  Hang in there and do your best.  Please let me know if you find the solution

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 571 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 364 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 278 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 461 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 377 views
Recent Topics