what kind the food i can't eat after surgery?

maryottawa
on 4/9/13 9:55 pm - Canada
my last meal of my fat life, tomorrow I have to start 3 week of optifast. :) what food I can not eat after surgery? I can eat fruit after surgery? Thank you

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

poet_kelly
on 4/9/13 9:59 pm - OH

Your surgeon and dietician haven't talked with you about this yet?  If not, you should ask them right away.

Most people can tolerate most foods after surgery.  About 30% get sick (called dumping syndrome) if they eat too much sugar.  Some don't feel well if they eat bread or pasta.  Some become lactose intolerant and don't handle milk well.  There's no way we can predict what you will and will not tolerate after surgery, though.

Even though you'll probably be able to eat most things after surgery, if you don't make healthy food choices most of teh time, you won't lose all the weight you want to lose or you will gain weight back later.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Calla Lily
on 4/9/13 10:57 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

After surgery, like right after you will be pretty limited, but at least for me, with each month that passed I could tolerate more and more, and now I think I could eat pretty much anything i wanted too other then high sugar, that makes me dump... but even for that, if I have something like a 1 bite of birthday cake, I wont dump on that, but if I had 5 bites, then i am SICK! Your body will tell you very quickly what it can and cannot eat. I had a heck of a time eating any meat cooked in a slow cooker and even eggs would not stay down, where as others can eat both of those things with out any trouble at all. I haven't even tried tried rice, bread or pasta yet by choice, so I dont know if I could handle that or not, but I cant see why I couldnt, but I just rather not eat it, because I am satisfied with meat, cheese, fruit, veggies and beans. Good luck on your optifast, and I wish you all the success post op!

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

_Islander_
on 4/9/13 11:22 pm
RNY on 03/11/13

I found I dump on high sugar and high carbs. I can control this at home fairly well, but eating outside can be a challenge as sugar and  carbs are often in foods you don't think they'd be in..  Gotta be more selective and careful when eating out.

chulbert
on 4/10/13 12:16 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Long-term, the only food I've been forbidden from eating are fresh oranges due to the membranes that separate the slices.  The doctor told me they've done waaaaay to many endoscopies to remove clogs.  Either eat fresh oranges like a grapefruit or stick to canned mandarin oranges.

I'm sure there will be people *****ply that they eat fresh oranges all the time and I'm not going to argue with them but this is what my surgeon told me.

maryottawa
on 4/11/13 11:28 am - Canada

thank ypu everybody for your answer

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter