How long after surgery before you can...Smoke marijuana?

kikidoll
on 4/14/13 11:32 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

Okay, I am so not looking to be told that smoking weed is illegal and bad for you.  I know that it's not the best thing in the world, but I also don't smoke that often.  That being said, I am the kind of person that is on edge a lot, I worry often about things I cannot control and I really like to smoke sometimes because it makes me relax and just enjoy life a little more.  To ME, weed makes me feel like how I think other people feel with alcohol.  Alcohol to me, makes me feel like I have no control and it makes me tired.  I would be fine to never have a sip of alcohol ever again if I could have weed every now and then.

I am 3.5 weeks out of surgery.  I know smoking is bad for the pouch.  I do not want to mess up my pouch, hence I am asking when you think it might be okay to indulge in this again?

I am not worried about the munchies or anything like it, when I smoke I am mostly thirsty and drink water/low-cal drinks, if I ever do get true 'munchies' I always have healthy snacks around like apples or carrot sticks.

So, to the people that also indulge in some recreational weed, when did you smoke again? Did it hurt, were you fine, did you feel like you should've waited longer?  Just trying to make an educated decision.

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

Bev759
on 4/14/13 11:40 am

Ask your surgeon that one and see what they have to say.  I'm surprised that you would ask that question here.  I've never smoked anything of any kind so I sure wouldn't be the person to ask.  Maybe weed is an emotional escape from your life problems that you're not dealing with.  Maybe you need help in more than just the emotional eating part of your life.

kikidoll
on 4/14/13 11:57 am - MA
RNY on 03/20/13

why is it surprising that I asked that question?  I'm sure it's not the first time someone has wondered or asked, and it's not like I asked when I can shoot up some heroin or smoke some crack cocaine...Studies have shown that marijuana is less harmful than alcohol or tobacco.  Anyway, I told my psychologist (when I was going through the process of having surgery) that I smoked weed occasionally and she laughed and said it was fine.  I even asked her if I should stop prior to the surgery and she said she didn't think I needed to.  I did, however, and haven't smoked since November because I didn't (and still don't) want anything to mess up my surgery.

Most people that don't smoke don't really understand why people that do, do it.  It's not an emotional escape (nor was I really an emotional eater) but rather a chance for me to unwind.  I am just very tense and somewhat high strung and it allows me to release some of my tension in a way that isn't harmful to others.

Age: 26  Height: 5'11  Highest Weight: 278  Goal: 160  Surgeon: Dr. Rebecca Shore

Lady Lithia
on 9/15/13 10:31 am

One thing I've found over the years is that sometimes people who had "issue A" with food tend to think that this is the issue with everyone else. I was an emotional eater to a very small amount, but for me it was more portion control than anything else. I didn't binge, didn't think about food constantly, and I could say no to treats without effort. I sell treats to my students, and that means I have cookies, candy bars, chips, crackers, gummy bears, etc, but I'm never really tempted to eat them. 

One of the biggest keys to success in this WLS process is understanding Why YOU personally are obese. Honesty with yourself is a huge key, and Your reason will always be different from person A or person B. For me I literally realized that it wasn't so much the food, but the sense of being over-stuffed. I liked how it felt. I cried when I realized WHY I was obese, because there wasn't any way to "cheat"... now when I over-eat it's nothing like before and has no allure. 

My problem is that I'm obsessively honest, and breaking the law isn't something I'm capable of doing, so I haven't indulged except on a vacation where it was legal, and even then I found nothing exciting about the experience. But I'm curious about what it would be like to combat my permanent pain issues. I likely would go for edibles compared to something to smoke. But only if I get the courage to even ask. 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

nuleaseonlife
on 1/30/14 11:46 am

i am not surprise and am glad you did ask i was wondering the same thing .....i too am 3 weeks out and have not done any smoking since my late teens when ibecame a public bus operator and would be tested so i stopped .....but was just wonderng if it would take the edge off so do hope you eind the answer.....and maybe you can pass it along...much appreciate it,,,,, dont let others judge....good luck

amberperez1981
on 7/13/15 1:00 pm - lebanon, TN

So how did it go?? I'm 6 weeks to surgery and wondering if I need to stop will I be able to afterwards???

QoftheU
on 9/15/13 7:34 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Wow - that seemed like an awfully judgmental and self-righteous reply to an open honest question. Why did you even bother to respond if you, by your own admission, know nothing about it? Purely punitive response IMO. Un.Cool.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

Lady Lithia
on 9/15/13 8:35 am

recreational smoking is legal in at least two states, and medical MJ is legal in something like 17 or more states (I've lost count). 

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Jimbezzy
on 6/19/15 1:37 pm

I'm sorry bev795, that Because your lack of understanding a simple legitimate question has you looking so ignorant! First off, no one cares that your lame. Secondly, why did you take the time to go out of your way to be so rude? You couldn't be more wrong with your ausmtions about this topic anyways! It's ok though because reading all the replies in reguads to your dumb comment should tell ya just how wrong you are and how much you fail at life! :) 

p.s weeds not illegal everywhere in the states now, and people who use is perfectly fine but should wait a few weeks to let your body heal the right way!

tiffdiana
on 1/20/17 3:24 pm

So, it is ok? I know this post was years ago, but I am curious now lol. did anyone ever figure it out?

Most Active
Recent Topics