What I wished I had done before Surgery

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/16/13 3:57 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I have seen many people post on here that they have a hard time seeing themselves as the much smaller person they are after losing weight. I was recently thinking I wish I had.....

Gotten a big piece of paper, Probably would have had to tape a few pieces together to get the right size and laid down on it while someone traced around me. Then to cut it out and save it and repeat the procedure after various levels of weight loss so I could compare the two three or many cut out images of my own body to see how much smaller it was.

Many of you may think this would be silly but for me I think it would have give me a visual of just how much my body size changed.

Lori                               

MarthaMyDear
on 4/16/13 4:02 am - PA
RNY on 04/09/13

That sounds like a good idea because I read people saying they don't see the difference but people have noticed. I forget when your surgery date ...could you still do that? Maybe just an area you really want to see the difference...like the thigh?

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/16/13 4:29 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

My surgery was back in June of last year. I have lost almost all of my weight. I went from a size 20 to a size 8. It wouldn't be the same doing it now verses doing it 10 months ago.

Lori                               

tarsanne
on 4/16/13 4:02 am - MO
That is genius!!! I could still do that. I'm only a week post op!
SoCaPinkLady
on 4/16/13 4:26 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Yes!! you could totally do it and have a good idea of how far you came when you reach your goal!!!

Lori                               

daxsgirl
on 4/16/13 4:03 am - NC
RNY on 05/13/13

I think that is an Awesome idea. I am hoping to have my surgery date soon. It has been sent to Insurance, just waiting now..... I believe I will try your idea when the time arrives.

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/16/13 4:25 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Good luck and I hope you get your approval and surgery quickly!!

Lori                               

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/16/13 4:16 am - OH

What a fabulous idea!  I started to take measurements the day before my surgery, but I made the mistake of starting with my waist, and the number was so depressing that I didn't continue.  Now I wish I had!  Having an outline would be MUCH better visual "evidence".  

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

SoCaPinkLady
on 4/16/13 4:24 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

Thank you Lora. I get the depressing thing about taking measurements but when I started I also knew in my head I was going to be watching those numbers get smaller and smaller. I didn't keep it up after many months but from time to time I go back and re-measure and log.

Lori                               

dahoodman
on 4/16/13 4:36 am - VA
RNY on 03/26/13

I've been taking weekly pictures. I don't always have the same shirt on, but I take a front and side view picture with a shirt and without a shirt. I hope I can continue to take them. I always start out good on stuff like that then I get less interested. It will be need to see them. I also take them in the same general spot in the house. I'm kind of hoping to make a flip book of sorts with the photos. I do like the trace and cutout idea though. That sounds pretty neat.

[Highest: 303] [Surgery Day: 295] [Current: 199.8] [Goal: 180][To Go: 19.8[Height: 5' 8"]

I have a tendency to wear my mind on my sleeve   

I have a history of losing my shirt Barenaked Ladies - One Week