Thoughts and extreme sadness

mydragonmoon
on 4/21/13 2:37 pm
RNY on 02/14/13 with

Hello, I am about 2 months out from my surgery. I'm down about 55lbs. Before the surgery I had long term severe depression and PTSD. I am on meds for it among other illnesses.  People keep saying how amazing I look. But, I don't feel really any different. I am very down hearted lately. I am very tired.  I hate the noises my tummy makes, the constant gas and just icky feeling in my stomach.  I hate the way my body looks now, more than ever.  I do look good with clothing on though.  I kept thinking that maybe the depression would lessen after the surgery. But its the same.  Only now I can't eat any of it away.  My acne is worse too.  I don't know what I'm trying to say other than, I am sad.  I want to change, but I am lacking in something... I hate feeling this way. 

MrsLitch
on 4/21/13 2:42 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
Make sure your meds aren't extended release and check with your doc they may need adjusting.

This is definitely more of a head trip than I imagined it would be. Talk to your therapist about finding healthy ways to cope with the issues.

my wish for you is to find peace in your journey and continued success in your weightloss.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/21/13 2:53 pm - OH

I am a licensed professional counselor and did some research into studies of psychological issues after WLS.  First, many women get depressed for a while after surgery (regardless of any history of depression).  It is a function of the effects of anesthesia, the trauma to your body and the physical stress of healing, hormones, and the stress of so little nutrition.  Second, I found two studies that both showed that in women who were diagnosed with depression pre-op there was little change OR an increase in depression during the first 3-4 months in over 50% (I don't remember the exact number offhand), but that from 6 months onward (when most people have lost a significant amount of weight and are experiencing feeling better physically and emotionally about themselves), depression decreased significantly in the vast majority (like 80+%).  After two years, however, more than half were experiencing depression at levels similar to their pre-op level, and the percentage was even higher for those with severe depression or more than one mental health diagnosis. The most prominent theory is that the "return" of the depression is because they go back to a normal life, with normal stressors and whatever cir****tances/sources of the pre-op depression, and discover that losing weight didn't fix all the problems they thought it would.  The PTSD, of course, is not likely to be lessened at all with weight loss. (There are a number of us here who have had PTSD for a number of years prior to, and since, surgery.)

You don't say what kinds of meds you are on,  but because of the bypass you might not be absorbing as much of the medication as before surgery and therefore may need an increased dose (or different version of medication if any if them are extended release, which we don't absorb well).

Are you seeing a counselor?  If not, that would probably be helpful.  If you are, have you told him/her about how you are feeling?

The first couple of months post-op are tough for many people.  Just hang in there!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Tiggybeep
on 4/21/13 4:51 pm
RNY on 04/02/13 with

Awesome post.  Talk to your psychiatrist and your therapist about what's going on.  They can help.

/been there, doing that.

apurdie
on 4/21/13 4:30 pm - CA

I felt more emotional too.  My meds were not absorbing well and they were doubled.  I am much better now. Good luck to you!

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 379 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 493 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 475 views