how long to wait for Back surgery after RNY

Owlet
on 4/25/13 9:16 am

I had my RNY on 1/14/2013..........

I just found out today that I will need to have back fusion on my L4 :-( How long should I wait before I consider this surgery:-(

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/25/13 9:52 am - OH

I would ask BOTH of your surgeons this question because they can take your previous medical history, your weight, and your specific back issues into consideration.

What I was told, however, was that because of the immense stress on your body from the surgery (remember, it is MAJOR internal surgery even if you only have a few small incisions on the outside) and the very minimal amount of nutrition that you take in during the first several months, any non-urgent surgery should be put off until at least 6 months out (my surgeon preferred a least 9 months), and any elective surgery should be put off until 12 months out.  So, some of it depends on how urgent the need for the fusion is.  Are you and your doctor sure you will need the fusion once you lose weight?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

daxsgirl
on 4/25/13 11:29 am - NC
RNY on 05/13/13
I also need a decompression and spinal fusion at L4 and L5. I was told by surgeon if I lost weight it may help tremendously. So I am having RNY on May 13th. I am hoping loosing weight will help. I wish you luck!

Candy V.
on 4/25/13 9:54 pm - MI
RNY on 09/12/12

I need both SI joints pinned and my RNY surgeon told me he would clear me 12-18 months post WTL.  I wi**** were sooner because I hurt most of the time, but I am used to it. My weight loss of almost 100 lbs so far has not helped my joints, but back fusion may be different than SI joints.   I am hoping for November of this year.

Your surgeon should tell you how long before he will clear you for another procedure.

RNY 9/12    TT 9/13    HT 5' 4"   HW 250    SW 242   CW 125

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want a group invite?  Send a PM  

Owlet
on 4/29/13 7:05 am

THank you all, I am going to ask him at my 3 month check tomorrow. If the compression of the nerves isn't too bad, then I will wait until 18 months has passed. I have lost 98 pounds to date( had the Band before, but had to revise due to acid reflux) and don't have quite as much pain in my legs, but it is there.

Just saw I posted this twice.....oops! Thanks to all that replied.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 23 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 247 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 261 views