Blood thinning shots

The_girl_next_door
on 4/30/13 1:30 pm
So I went in on my day of surgery, and somewhere in all that information, I hear that I am having to give myself 2 injections a day for two weeks after surgery. WHAT?!?!? I am very organized, I have every single sheet of paper that I have received about gastric bypass from my doctor, copies of all of my lab work, every note from my classes, and even have copied and pasted a few things from here. That information is neatly organized in an adorable binder with dividers in all. NO WHERE DID MY DOCTOR SAY THAT I WOULD HAVE TO DO THIS! If I could have mentally prepared, I believe it would have been easier. Every morning and every night, i sit down for this injection. My face gets warm, my heart beats faster, and I have to give myself a pep talk. Eventually I do it. I suck it up and do it. I absolutely hate them!
AnchorsAweigh
on 4/30/13 1:36 pm

You're better than me. My seven are still sitting in my medicine cabinet.

MrsLitch
on 4/30/13 1:46 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12
A friend of mine is an lpn I had to pay her gas money to drive the hour round trip to my house to do it lol. I only had 3 days but knew I couldn't do it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 4/30/13 1:58 pm - OH

Why are you so mentally freaked out about them?  You don't mention any physical distress, just emotional.  The injections should not hurt (if they do, you may not be injecting slowly enough).  

I routinely have to do the injections for a week before and after each surgery I have (and occasionally when my INR/pro time is too low (I take blood thinner pills all the time)).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

The_girl_next_door
on 4/30/13 10:09 pm
It is all mental. It is something that I never have had to do. It may not be a big deal to some but for some strange reason, it just freaks me out. I just wanted to mention it so that maybe someone else out there would know to ask their doc. Maybe they can be more prepared for it than I am.
honestlinzel
on 4/30/13 3:27 pm - CA

So is this Heparin? Why do you have to take it when you leave the hospital? This is not something I had to do.

RNY Surgery was on 4/12/2013. Now currently on the Never hungry ever bench

Starting weight: 320lbs

Current Weight:  203lbs

The_girl_next_door
on 4/30/13 10:10 pm
It's lovenox. It's purpose is to prevent blood clots.
Justcallmesuz
on 4/30/13 3:57 pm, edited 4/30/13 3:58 pm
RNY on 05/08/13

I have my surgery next week. I am not aware of this. After g being through chemo, I know I cannot give myself shots! 

HW~278

CW~131

GW~160

beverlyp
on 4/30/13 7:12 pm

Thank goodness I wasn't asked to do that.  Giving myself injections was one of the prime factors in getting the surgery in the first place.  Diabetes runs so much in my family, I just knew my day was coming.

gabbie3275
on 4/30/13 7:38 pm

my son had cancer i had to give him these shots in his stomach twice a day for 3 months:( you will get better at it :)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views