value of therapy

shannonigan
on 5/14/13 4:21 am - Tooele, UT
RNY on 04/30/13
I have decided to take the plunge and start some therapy. I am almost more nervous about this than I was about the surgery. I lost 120lbs years ago in my 20s and most definitely was not prepared for the changes that occur socially. I just really want to do this right this time. Does anyone care to share how therapy has helped? I am not asking anyone to bare their souls or what not, just maybe share some of the benefits?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/14/13 4:31 am - OH

As someone who has been on BOTH sides of the therapy office for a number of years(I am a Licensed Professional Counselor and finishing a Psych PhD, and have been a client for trauma therapy for over 10 years), I think that one of the biggest benefits of therapy is the opportunity to share with someone in a safe, non-judgmental atmosphere what is going on in your head and to have someone who is objective (and trained) help you sort those things out and figure out how to change what needs to be changed, help you look at things from a different perspective when required, and help you see/accept what you can control and what you cannot control (other people). 

In terms of weight issues, it can also be very helpful to identify and work through the psychological/emotional issues that contributed to the obesity and that might pop back up and make maintaining the weight loss more difficult and to identify behavioral patterns that need to be broken (and help you develop strategies fro breaking them that will work for you).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 5/14/13 6:17 am - OH

Therapy has helped me come to terms with some things that happened in my past, has helped me learn ways to cope with stress and anxiety, has helped me feel more self-confident, has helped me make decisions about relationships, and has helped me learn ways to cope with nightmares and other PTSD symptoms.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PaintingJoy
on 5/14/13 7:25 am - GA
RNY on 05/20/13

I have an LPC that I've seen off and on for 15 years.  She has helped me through some very difficult times while I was the primary caretaker for my Mom (Alzheimer's)  I trust her to tell me when I'm veering off track; and I love that she does so in a non-judgemental way.  

When I made the decision to have RNY (May 20th!!) I called her and we've set up appointments weekly beginning the week after surgery for the first month; then we'll re-evaluate. 

Yesterday I was literally a basket case (Surgery is in 6 days! kind of stuff.)  We met for 30 minutes and I can honestly say it was the best thing I could have done for myself.  Today I've been so much calmer and know that when I hit rough spots along the way (those social changes you mentioned) she will help me talk through it and find resolutions.  

Find someone you connect with; don't be afraid to shop around!

Best of luck to you!

shannonigan
on 5/14/13 7:32 am - Tooele, UT
RNY on 04/30/13
Thank you so much for your responses. I truly appreciate it.

robynrobyn36
on 5/14/13 11:51 am - NH
RNY on 02/25/13

I'm thinking of starting too.   I went to a  couple sessions required pre-op, but I wasn't crazy about the NP I met with, just didn't feel comfortable with her.  I volunteered at the Boston Marathon finish line this year, which was quite a traumatic event to experience only 7 weeks post-op for me, and for at least a week after hardly ate or slept.   I went to a debriefing held by psychiatrists who specialize in PTSD and I was amazed how helpful it was.   They explained our body's physical reaction to stress, how it takes some time to come down from that "hyper-alert" state, and in the meantime we will likely have trouble eating, sleeping, focusing, etc.. they completely validated how I was feeling.  I left the debriefing feeling so much lighter, and amazingly was able to get back into a regular eating and sleeping pattern very soon after.   Anyway, this experience sold me on the benefits of seeing a therapist.  I just hate the idea of telling a bunch of people all my personal problems until I find one I'm comfortable with!   :)

newpossibilities
on 5/14/13 1:06 pm - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
I am still pre-op but from reading OH I have seen that so many people seem to hit a wall about a year out of surgery. I wanted to begin to deal with that now so I am better prepared to understand how I am using food before the changes are forced through surgery.

In my opinion the therapy is great. I am seeing someone who understands wls, obesity and is an expert in cognitive behavioral therapy. I don't have all the answers but I feel like she is helping me to be as prepared as possible for what lies ahead.

I would recommend it to anyone who is making significant life changes as it provides tools and insights to help you stay focussed on your goals and get back on track when things aren't going as well as you would like.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views