Everyone, I need some help please!!

Neaucora
on 5/10/13 2:03 am - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I am a year out, surgiverssary was April 24th. I have done awesome! I was at a size 20/22 and am now wearing a size 2/4. My only regrets are my hair (which seems to be coming back in now) and my boobs. But the price I paid with those is worth it.

I have a very termpermental pouch. Once day chicken is my friend,next day my pouch throws it up. Same with beef, fish, etc. So I have to vary my diet daily. I cannot eat raw veggies besides lettuce and tomatos, or those come up too. And let me tell you, my pouch will twist for hours until every little crumble of carrot or brocoli or whatever it was is gone.

I love greek yogurt, and really try to get in 50 to 60 grams protein a day, but I have to supplement an Isopure drink a few times a week as I just cannot get in that much meat/cheese/yogurt.  I drink crystal light, and herbal tea occasionally.

Anyhow my problem: I work 3 12 hour shift days, and one 6 hour shift day. And it is constantly on my feet and has a large amount of stress. I carry foods with me in pockets and have learned to make my rounds centereing around the break room for a bite here and a bite there. I am getting in 4 to 6 32 oz containers of fluids a day. Usually crystal light, sometimes mixed with the Isopure.

I come home and my legs started to cramp as soon as I sat down on the couch. And then it progressed to when I went to bed. I would wake up with horrible horribe horrible leg cramps. And I am not just talking a little calf cramp. I mean full-on whole leg cramps. From the top of the heel all the way up to the butt, along the sides. And no amount of walking helps. I just want to lay there or lean against a wall and cry. Now its progressing into the arms. At first it was just the back of the upper arm. And now its the back of the arm around the sides and moving into the forearm. And sometimes just picking up my purse will do it.

I had my labs drawn, and the Dr even drew extra labs to see if I am low or anything is out of wack. My Ferritin a month ago was 35 and the other day is was down to 25. But I am not anemic yet. So I changed my iron supplement and went from 30 grams at at ime up to 120 now. And I am making sure I do not drink tea or coffee within 5 hours of this as it inhibits the absorbtion of the iron. And I take my Iron and my Thyroid 12 hours apart as they do not get along either.

ALSO, one day a finger joint will swell up, and hurt like crap for almost 36 hours. It gets red, swollen, and did I say PAINFUL, then it goes away, and it happens somewhere else. My wrist, my toe, my knee, the bottom of my feet where the toes attach to the foot (joints), my shoulder. SO I have an appointment with a Dr that specializes in Auto Immune diseases and allergies next month, and now I am being referred to a endocrinologist next month also in Scottsdale.

My Bariatriician said all my labs besides the Iron are great. He showed me everything. All vitamins etc look great. He even added a bunch of tests just to check other things like Vit. E and stuff.

OH , and I forgot. I am having problems keeping my blood sugar up. The lowest that I have been able think and function was 37.  But I sure felt like crap. My Dr. wants me off Gluten, and all sugars. to see if it will help with the pain and swelling im having. So I was thinking maybe I could do milk or yogurt when I get low, but I am getting a little lost and I must admit, I am starting to worry about how I am going to deal with all this.

And my job, I work in a jail. I am getting terrified at the thought of either passing out because of blood sugar or my body cramping and getting my ass handed to me or killed because I cannot fight back or handle a drunk or someone high on drugs when they come in. And I sure as heck do not want to get one of my co workers hurt or killed.

Does anybody have any ideas of what is going on? Anythoughts of things I can look up, or some personal experience would be so very very much appreciated. Thankyou

abrannume
on 5/10/13 2:45 am - willingboro, NJ
RNY on 04/04/12

I know this doesn't account for all of your concerns, but as far as your leg cramps are concerned, you might also look into back problems.  I had surgery for a herniated disc years ago and about a year after the surgery, I started have extremely bad cramping in one of my legs.  I went to several different docs including a rheumatologist and none of them could tell me what was causing the cramps.  Finally, I tried another neurologist (second opinion) and he told me that my back was causing the cramps.  He has me on Gabapentin which helps a bit, but when i don't take it, the cramps start up again.

Neaucora
on 5/10/13 12:17 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

mmmmnn thank you, I have not ridden in a while, but I have done lots and lots of horseback riding and have been thrown more times than I like to remember.

msski
on 5/10/13 3:27 am - Enterprise, AL

I get those nasty cramps, Tonic water seems to help. I have a cup before bed and some thru out the day, I put Mio in mine because i dont care for the taste. Just a Idea to try.My Surgeon has me on Prilosec for life, everyday. Ask your surgeon about it. Mine said it is to protect my pouch and it would help it from feeling like it is twisting up and I will say it works. As for meats and I have to chew my meat till it is liquefied in my mouth before i can swallow it. My pouch is very temperamental , I ate something last week, I think it was Ham and Im just now feeling Ok but before It felt like someone kick me in the gut for a whole week. 

Neaucora
on 5/10/13 12:21 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I am ready to do anything for the darn cramps. I will look for some tonic water next time I am at the store. what about the Mio, doesnt that have too much sugar? I will look at that too. Thank you so very much!

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/10/13 3:39 am

Getting of gluten really helps my RH (Reactive hypoglycemia)

Also make sure that your food - every snacl or a meal is proteins _+ fat then some carbs.  Not all carbs are the same. Some my body can tolerate just fine - others - no matter what I ate at the same time as those carbs - I get RH almost 100% of the time. Some of them are: bananas, melons, and potatoes (sweet potatoes are OK). Milk - since it is more sugar (12 gr) than protein (only 8 gr) is a big no-no for me. 

Pure protein drink - with no fat may make my body into low sugar stage. Adding even a little bit if fat (i.e. 1/2 cup of coconut unsweet milk to a serving of no-fat protein shake) can stabilize my BS better than anything else. 

Nut butters and nuts are may savers. (the NSA nut butters). I tsp or 1 TBs can make a difference between low BS or a normal one for 2-3 hrs. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Neaucora
on 5/10/13 12:18 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

Thank you, lots to think about there!

KennyBruin
on 5/10/13 4:17 am - MD

Did your doc check your potassium levels?  I take a potassium supplement, but I am still susceptible to leg cramps whenever my potassium gets low.  Just a thought.

MercyMercy
on 5/10/13 7:47 am - Sparks, NV

I had those same terrible leg cramps that were worse at night...sometimes 2-3 times a night.  Standing in a hot shower or wrapping hot towels around the cramp was the only relief.  I tried adding potassium by diet and pill but it didn't help.

I was MAGNESIUM deficient and adding 400mg/per day has almost  totally stopped the cramps. Research Prilosec and you'll  see a caution that it blocks magnesium being absorbed.

The major symptom of magnesium deficiency is MUSCLE CRAMPS!! Since you also take Prilosec it might be worth your while to research it.  .My labs didn't show I was low in mag but dang....the cramps are gone now. I know how you're suffering so I hope this helps.

Neaucora
on 5/10/13 12:24 pm - AZ
RNY on 04/23/12

I do not take prilosec that I am aware of. My labs have been done twice now in 2 months. Potassium and Magnessium are fine. But I started taking a potassium 3 times a week anyways, cuz this is just awful. I will look for the Magnessium/Potassium supplements and start those. Maybe that will help. I gotto do something, this is crazy and oh so painful.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 411 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 402 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 283 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 318 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 6 replies · 139 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?