Please tell me it grows back

Tracy91002
on 5/16/13 4:32 am
RNY on 01/17/13

I can handle losing my hair, if I can be assured it willgrowback.  I've lost between 1/3 and 1/2 of my already thin hair.  I've gotten it it, and am prepared to wear a hat this summer, because I have already brunt my scalp in the sun.  I am just getting scared this won't grow back.  Did yours grow back?

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/13 5:32 am - Canada
RNY on 08/10/12

Yes it grows back, dont worry. I lost about half of my hair and i had very thick hair, but now i have baby hairs sticking up all over my head. I am 9 months out and started loosing hair around 3 months and it went on for about 3-4 months.

Dont worry :)

Sue

Kat Kat
on 5/16/13 6:21 am - AZ

There are no guarantees in life, but I think the odds are GREAT that it will grow back. Losing hair after WLS is a normal and common part of this process. There are lots of ways to work through this and I should know because I have baby fine hair and lose a lot of it after every surgery I've ever had (which have been many). First and foremost for us WLS patients, is to make sure you're getting  in enough protein. Other things I've done is to color it to thicken the hairs. BTW, lighter colors make the scalp less noticeable too. I also get a layered cut, use a lot of mousse and comb it in ways to cover the bad areas and then hairspray it in place until it grows back. One style that has served me many times is to comb it straight back and clip a pony tail. I use nice conservative clips with pearls for things like important meetings and just a simple coated band for things like housework. I've found cute clips with pretty stones that look nice with an outfit for a casual dinner out too. Now that my hair is grown back and normal again, I actually still use them because they can be fun and compliment an outfit.

poet_kelly
on 5/16/13 6:24 am - OH

No, it does not grow back.  All RNY patients are bald.  Haven't you noticed?  Any that appear to have hair are really wearing wigs.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 5/16/13 7:37 am - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

Now that was funny Kelly!!!

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

LadyLilMax
on 5/16/13 11:52 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

ROFL...oh me... you are too funny, Kelly!

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

Tracy91002
on 5/16/13 6:32 am
RNY on 01/17/13

Kelly, you're a funny girl.  Lol.  I am just feeling a little insecure.  Iam feeling like I look older since the weight loss and now the thinning hair is just icing.  Getting my big girlpanties on (even though they're a smaller size ) and get the ball cap ready

PaintingJoy
on 5/16/13 7:26 am - GA
RNY on 05/20/13

Yes, it will grow back.  You can (with NUT permission) take Biotin supplements.  Also I have heard to use the men's version of the ?  shampoo.  Brain left the room!  Finding that alot today; my surgery is on Monday so I'm a bit distracted!  Oh yeah, Rogaine.

Tracy91002
on 5/16/13 8:44 am
RNY on 01/17/13

I am probably the only rny patient that never went to see a NUT.  It was not required nor did my surgeon even mention it.  I have don tons of my own research, but still feel lacking some.  My surgeon is a really hands off type of gut.  He never even gave me a goal weight.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/16/13 9:40 am - OH

I never saw one after surgery, either.  I had an appointment scheduled for about 6 months out, and then that NUT quit and so someone called me on the phone. She asked if I was having trouble, asked what I was eating most days, and told me to call if I had any questions!  What a joke.  That's a little late to be following up on what people are eating, don't you think?!?  

Fortunately, my surgeon gave us a VERY detailed food plan in our big binder of information.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics