Dizzy?

Scherrie Tappin
on 6/10/13 1:42 am - CT

Good morning OH'ers:

I just ate my regular bowl of oatmeal (1/2) rolled oats with splash of milk and 1 pkt of raw sugar, and I feel so dizzy!  I notice sometimes after I eat certain foods it has this effect too, but I'm stumped. I did not eat too fast and it definitely wasn't too much sugar.

I am 24 1/2 months out.  Anyone have the same problem? Also, I got all my labs back last week and everything is great!

Thank you.

RNY 5/25/2011                        
H.A.L.A B.
on 6/10/13 2:04 am

way too many sugar and carbs in that meal.. I would be so sick... I need proteins in the morning. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Scherrie Tappin
on 6/10/13 2:21 am - CT

Hello H.A.L.A.,

Wow, I've been eating this since I had surgery, every morning! I was told by my NUT that oatmeal was the way to go.

RNY 5/25/2011                        
Neen L.
on 6/10/13 2:08 am - Arlington, VA

Hi Scherrie,

Sorry that the oatmeal made you sick. The dizziness may have been caused by a brief blood sugar spike. Although you used a fairly harmless amount of sweetener, you have to consider that there are also simple sugars in the oatmeal. Often even with whole grains, there is not enough fiber in that single portion to slow down digestion enough to keep you from spiking blood sugar.

Maybe next time, try having an egg and a half serving of the oatmeal, or a piece of turkey sausage. Focusing on protein first is always the best idea. Cheers!

Long-term post-ops with regain struggles, click here to see some steps for getting back on track (without the 5-day pouch fad or liquid diet): http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/bananafish711/blog/2013/04/05/don-t-panic--believe-and-you-will-succeed-/

Always cooking at www.neensnotes.com!

Need a pick-me-up? Read this: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2009/10/it-will-be-sunny-one-day.html

Scherrie Tappin
on 6/10/13 2:23 am - CT

Hi Neen L.

Wow, you really learn something new every day!! Thank you so much for the information, and I will follow your suggestions. 

RNY 5/25/2011                        
Katie K.
on 6/10/13 2:14 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Do you have trouble with gluten? The oatmeal could have been prepared in a shared facility. I get neurological symptoms from gluten, not digestive issues.

Scherrie Tappin
on 6/10/13 2:25 am - CT

Hi Katie K.

I don't really know. As I stated I have had this before after eating, but never from the oatmeal.  Hmmmm....this will call for some testing, I'm sure. Thank you.

RNY 5/25/2011                        
poet_kelly
on 6/10/13 2:15 am - OH

Your blood sugar probably crashed from all the carbs.  Sounds like reactive hypoglycemia.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Scherrie Tappin
on 6/10/13 2:30 am - CT

Hi Kelly,

It seems to be the concensus right now.  I find that the lower my weight drops I become a little more sensitive to sugar., i.e., I could always eat regular pudding. Boy, did I get a shocker a couple of months ago, after having a small cup. I crawled in bed and thought I was dying. Of course, now I eat only sugar-free. So, a bit more adjusting is necessary. 

I'm glad everyone helped and that I could come here and get some answers because I thought I was a little "Looney" LOL!

Thank you everyone!!

RNY 5/25/2011                        
poet_kelly
on 6/10/13 2:36 am - OH

I've gotten more sensitive to carbs as I've gotten further out.  I dunno why that is.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 448 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 403 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views