Protein shakes vs protein bars

imaclutz
on 5/22/13 12:38 am - WI
RNY on 04/17/13

I'm just wondering what anyone's opinion is on having a REAL protein bar (not the glorified candy bar ones) once in awhile in place of a protein shake.  Sometimes it's just really hard getting them all down. 

Does anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, etc?

Thanks!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/22/13 12:43 am - OH

There isn't anything wrong with protein bars if that makes it easier for you to get additional protein in, but be aware that most of them are very dense and may sit heavily in your pouch, or you may only be able to eat half at a time (so it would be much less protein than if you had a shake).  They are also usually LOADED with chemicals.  Personally, I will rather just have a container of Greek yogurt with 80 calories and 12g of protein than a shake OR a protein bar.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

imaclutz
on 5/22/13 12:46 am - WI
RNY on 04/17/13

You know, I never thought about the chemicals, but that makes total sense.  I love Greek yogurt, so I think I'll just stay with that and try to mix it up a bit.

My pouch still feels heavy with meat, so I can't imagine what it would do with a protein bar!!!

Thanks Lora...

Marie

Ocalasam
on 5/22/13 12:48 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I really like protein bars!  They are great if you are really busy or on the go a lot.  I work full time and have 2 small kids - there are times when I don't have a lot of good options.  I really like Quest bars and Oh Yeah bars.  Both are very good and high in protein.  I get sick of the shakes sometimes!  I am going on a trip out of state for a wedding this weekend and I don't know what my options will be like there - so I definitely plan to bring protein bars along so I know I can get my protein in and not be stuck without choices!

PetHairMagnet
on 5/22/13 5:57 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Not sure what a candy bar one is. We buy the ones with 20g of protein and 2g of sugar in a bar. They are chocolately flavored but nothing like a candy bar, lol.

:)

My husband keeps them in each vehicle just in case he needs a meal or snack on the go.