Photo

Photo by Chef #0

32 Reviews
  • timer
  • Prep Time: 20 mins
  • Total Time: 50 mins
  • Serves: 5, Yield: 10 halves

About This Recipe

"These are a delicious home-made bread replacement that are practically carb free and very high in protein. They are just like heaven so I call them clouds. Compliments of Kristin Patterson."

Ingredients

• 3 eggs, separated
    • 3 tablespoons whole milk cottage cheese or 3 tablespoons cream cheese
    • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    • 1 (1 g) packet artificial sweetener

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Separate the eggs very carefully, there must be no yolk in the white.
  3. In one bowl, mix together the egg yolks, the 3 T. of Cottage Cheese OR Cream Cheese and the one packet of Sweetener until smooth.
  4. In the other bowl add 1/4 teaspoon of Cream of Tartar to the whites and beat the whites on high speed until they are fluffy and form nice peaks.
  5. Very carefully fold the egg yolk mixture into the egg whites until mixed, but try and not break down the fluffiness of the egg whites too much.
  6. Spray two cookie sheets with Pam or other fat-free cooking spray.
  7. With a large spoon, "scoop" the mixture into 10 even rounds on the sheets (about the size of the top-half of the McDonalds hamburger bun; roughly 3/4 inch thick and 4 to 5 inches across).
  8. Bake on the middle rack. Here is when you have to watch them, because the cooking time the same on any two batches. It is somewhere around 1/2 hour, but it could be less or more. You just need to watch them until them become nice and golden brown (again, the color of a McDonalds bun).
  9. Remove from the pans and cool on a rack or cutting board.
  10. While warm they are crumbly and similar to cooked meringue - but don't let this fool you! Once completely cool, seal them in a ziplock storage baggie or a tupperware over night. They will totally change their consistency, to something much more like bread - a softer texture that is nice and chewy. If you do not like softer chewy bread, then eat them as they are, nice and crisp.

Directions

1. Since the sides that were facing the pan are perfectly flat, you use these to spread things on, or make sandwiches, or even as a burger bun! The choice is up to you, and you will be quite amazed at how much like a bun these really are!

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 (30 g)

Servings Per Recipe: 5

Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Calories 43.2

Calories from Fat 25
59%
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 2.8g
4%
Saturated Fat 0.9g
4%
Cholesterol 111.6mg
37%
Sugars 0.1 g
Sodium 42.6mg
1%
Total Carbohydrate 0.3g
0%
Dietary Fiber 0.0g
0%
Sugars 0.1 g
0%
Protein 3.7g
7%

Lori                               

poet_kelly
on 6/11/13 1:06 am - OH

Have you tried it?  What does it taste like?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

SoCaPinkLady
on 6/11/13 1:11 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I haven't made them yet. I plan on it soon. As soon as I get through my youngest daughters High School Graduation and Party.

Lori                               

Lori F.
on 6/11/13 1:15 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

I made this for my hubby.  It doesn't taste like bread, but he used it as a bread sub.  So long as what you are putting on the bread is not heavy or dense, it holds up pretty well.  It really doesn't have much flavor at all.

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

SoCaPinkLady
on 6/11/13 1:16 am - CA
RNY on 06/11/12

I was thinking it would be good with a little egg salad or tuna salad.

Lori                               

poet_kelly
on 6/11/13 1:24 am - OH

I wonder if you could add garlic or something to it for more flavor.  I love garlic bread.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

65rosesmom
on 6/11/13 3:29 am

I made them last week.   they are not much . . . they don't taste bad, but aren't really good either.   I'd consider them for a hamburger bun or something, but they don't satisfy bread needs...not garlic bread worthy.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Karens62
on 6/11/13 5:13 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Do they taste like eggs? I can't stand eggs which is fairly ironic since I have a flock of chickens in the back yard.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

65rosesmom
on 6/11/13 1:09 pm

Yes, they definitely have an egg taste and an egg look to them.   

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

nfarris79
on 6/11/13 5:33 am - Germantown, MD

I may have to try these - I've done things with protein powder & baking powder to make muffins but never tried a savory vehicle like these....

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Most Active
Recent Topics