6 mths post-op...what do you eat in the run of a day?

iambrink
on 6/13/13 9:27 am

I know everyone is different and it seems like every plan is different, but i want to ask the question anyway.  what do you eat during a 24 hour period?  I had surgery 12/11/12 and i feel like i heading down a path i don't like.  I have lost 70 lbs, but have been at the same weight for about 4-6 weeks.  That's not my concern...my concern is that i am able and i am actually eating snacks like goldfish and other carbs.  I lived with guilt prior to this surgery and now i am headed that way again.  I try to get myself back on track and it lasts for about a day.  I swore to myself and everyone that this surgery would be the tool to get me started on the right path and now that path is forking!  I am doing well with exercise...going to the gym doing cardio 3-4 times a week and working with a trainer 1x week.

I am almost embarrassed to admit what snacks i have had today which has been a bad one.  I have been reading this board for months and i have really found people to be a good support for each other. I don't see my dr and nutrionist until the end of the month.  I would really like to get a feel for what people are eating at six months so i can put my eating in perspective.  so please share your daily food diary with me.

RNY 12/12; pre-op 243; current 165

PetHairMagnet
on 6/13/13 9:47 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Goldfish are really never going to be a 'good' food. Crackers like that are not allowed in my plan ever. My husband is 8 months out and he eats 900 to 1000 calories a day and walks between 5 and 7 miles daily.

I would encourage you to work out no less than 5 days a week. Three to four times is a maintenance amount, not a loss amount.

He has a protein shake and coffee in the morning all but a day or two a week. We go out for oatmeal or grits and a scrambled egg one weekend day usually.

He eats a lunch of 25 g of protein and very few carbs and low fat.

Dinner is a variety of things. 'Spaghetti' without the pasta. He'll have garlic, tomato sauce, ground beef or pork, and a bit of cheese melted on top. Or he'll have grilled chicken and a leaf of romaine lettuce. He won't eat fish, so that never goes in his rotation, but I love scallops, crab, shrimp and soft fishes however not tuna. That, for whatever reason, makes me want to gag now and I used to love it!  Sometimes I will make him a chicken salad with low fat mayo and seasonings and some chopped nuts and my husband will eat it on 6 or 8 multigrain crackers (depends on the kind) if he wants something with some 'crunch'. But that is a once or twice a week thing, not a daily thing.

My husband drinks 8 glasses of liquid a day, however that is a mix of tea, coffee and water and he LOVES Mio in water. :)

HTH!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

angeleigh
on 6/13/13 10:10 am, edited 6/13/13 10:11 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Foods

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Cholest Sodium Sugars Fiber
Breakfast
Gnc - Total Lean Shake (Swiss Chocolate) - Ready to Drink 4 Points, 14 fl oz 170 6g 6g 25g 20mg 390mg 2g 3g
Lunch
Taco Bell - Crunchy Taco No Lettuce, 156 g 330 24g 20g 16g 50mg 574mg 2g 6g
Dinner
Homemade - Cauliflower-Mock Mashed Garlic Potatos, 1/4 cup 34 5g 2g 2g 1mg 38mg 1g 2g
All Recipes - Hamburger Steak With Onions and Gravy, 1 steak 319 14g 19g 23g 122mg 597mg 0g 1g
Snacks
Sargento - Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar Cheese Sticks, 2 piece 120 2g 9g 10g 30mg 270mg 2g 0g
TOTAL: 973 51g 56g 76g 223mg 1,869mg 7g 12g

This is a pretty normal day for me. I tend to snack on cheese sticks or almonds. Every once in a while I do the baked chips with salsa. (that time of the month normally). I do have other snack items at times, if i want them. Like a spoon of ice cream, not a bowl just 1 spoon. Or 5 animal crackers(happened over the weekend while watching my 3 yr old nephew)

I dont restrict what I eat I am just more aware of what I am eating now. I dont tend to do breads, rice, pastas. But I do crackers with cheese or PB, and I do snack on cheerios. Also right now my drink of choice is Diet Sunkist or powerade. I do drink 60 oz's of fluids a day. Ohh another "snack" item i keep is kisses with almonds, i leave a few on my desk for times when I want something, but i only eat 1 or 2. enough to kill the craving.

Right now I am almost 9 months and only 15 pounds away from my goal. I havent lost in a few weeks but my body fat % has gone from 35% to 29%, so I am ok with that.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Terri C.
on 6/13/13 11:48 pm - Waterford, VA
When you say diet sun kist? Are you drinking carbonation? PLEASE DON't. After 6 years out, I had a Perrier at a Christmas party. My first carbonated beverage. It tasted so go.. The fizz. I stared drinking selzter water, no calories. I did this for a year. Slowly I gained 15 pounds. I believe my pouch stretched as my Dr. Suggested when saying not to drink carbonated beverages. I stopped drinking the soda's but find my portion sized have increased, when I could only eat 3/4 cup of soup, I can now eat a whole cup and a half a sandwich. I am really struggling to lose this weight... Just a word to the wise!!
angeleigh
on 6/14/13 11:27 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I am sorry you feel that way, but carbonation doesnt bother my pouch. It will not stretch your pouch, that is like saying if you drink to much water it will stretch your pouch. liquid goes in one opening and out the other.

As far as you being able to eat more, that is normal as your pouch heals. We arent stuck to eating only 1/2 a cup of food for life.

One side note, when I do have a diet sunkist, I buy one 20 oz and that will last me about a week, and normally after the first day it has no carbonation in it at all. 

I personally do not believe I will gain weight because I drank one 20oz diet soda in a week.

Thanks for you words to the wise. But do more research first.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Terri C.
on 6/14/13 11:53 am - Waterford, VA
I don't think any one will gain weight drinking one Sunkist a week. It is not the Sunkist but the gas in the soda's. And I don't need to do the research. My surgeon told me that carbonation was forbidden.. They have done the research! All I know is I maintained my weight for seven years.. Then after drinking carbonation for a year I gained 7 pounds with and increase in my capacity of portions. I do believe your pouch will stretch..or there would not be revision surgery! Comparing drinking too much water to gases building up in your pouch due to carbonation is not the same. I don't know any surgeon that allows carbonated beverages.. Good luck to you.. You are barely out of surgery..
Lori Risner
on 6/17/13 3:14 am - OR
RNY on 03/12/13

Terri, I agree with you.  My surgeon also says ABSOLUTELY no carbonation too.  Says it will stretch my pouch. I would love to have a diet coke.  Love the burn!  LOL!  But, I am not going to risk it.  

It seems like a lot of people on OH say something different as far as what to do and what not to do.  I think if someone questions something on their diet, they should make a quick call to their doctor and find out for sure. 

We have all worked way too hard to go back to our old ways. 

Good luck to you all! 

Blessings on your day!

Laura in Texas
on 6/14/13 12:39 pm

I don't believe the carbonation will do anything to stretch our pouches, but in my 5 years in this community, and observing people IRL, the ones who have struggled with regain are those who drink soda, even if it's diet soda. There is some sort of correlation, possibly from the artificial sweetener (studies have shown a link). I will not risk it, but to each his own.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

cajungirl
on 6/13/13 11:32 am, edited 6/13/13 6:31 pm
Carbs are such a slippery slope. Pack and prepare your snacks with something that will give you nutritional value.

You are still in the good weight loss window (even if it has slowed down some). Don't waste this time it will be much harder and more work when your window closes.

Optimize this year. Say no to the crackers. If you can not keep them around due to temptation throw them away.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

iambrink
on 6/13/13 12:00 pm

Thanks for the replies.  I feel like i am going down that slippery slope.  I also had complications that lead to near death experiences after surgery, so i feel even more pressure to make this work.  Your relies are helping.  i need to regroup.  i still would like to hear from others regarding their normal day of eating...

RNY 12/12; pre-op 243; current 165

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 5 views