Weight gain with Period?

Jamie-Sue30
on 6/15/13 11:14 pm
RNY on 10/24/12

I started my period this morning and noticed I am 3 pounds heavier then a couple of days ago, could I actually be gaining weight back at not even 8 months out or is it just because of my period? I have been stalled at 234 for a few weeks now. Thanks in advance! 

Walnut436
on 6/15/13 11:19 pm

Water retention during that time is a good possibility. I know for me personally...I don't weight 3 days before, during, or 3 days after my period because I just stay the same or gain a pound or five and I don't want to get discouraged. However, when it's over I usually drop 3-4 pounds in a day or two.  Don't let that bother you. It's funny you're stuck at 234...I was stuck there for almost 3 weeks too and I JUST finally dropped to 230.8 yesterday.  Small stalls are normal and expected. Just stick to your plan and don't get discouraged!

Jamie-Sue30
on 6/15/13 11:21 pm
RNY on 10/24/12

How far out from surgery are you?  I will be 8 months out on the 24th. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/13 12:15 am, edited 6/16/13 1:08 am - OH

Water retention.  It happens to most women and has been happening your entire adult life.  You were never so "obsessed" with the scale before, though, so you never noticed it.  Even eating additional sodium that you don't normally consume can cause you to retain several pounds of water, so it isn't even just having your period that can cause a blip on the scale.

In order to gain three pounds of FAT you would have had to consume over 13,000 EXTRA calories in that couple of days!  {sarcasm on} Did you eat that much EXTRA the last couple of days? {sarcasm off}  Of course not.  I am not sure why people (not just you... this comes up here a LOT) who gained weight SLOWLY over days, weeks, months, and years, of overeating suddenly worry that they magically gained 3-6 pounds in a  couple of days.  They also refer to every single pound that scale goes DOWN as "weight loss" (even if it comes from losing water weight).  Your body naturally fluctuates.  You also routinely weigh more in the afternoon even if you have not eaten anything.

Relax and take a deep breath.  Think about the number on the scale logically instead of emotionally.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jamie-Sue30
on 6/16/13 12:31 am
RNY on 10/24/12

Lora,

Little harsh. Your how many years out?  Are you telling me you didn't have days of worrying emotionally that HEY maybe I am going to gain this weight back suddenly or HEY maybe I'm done losing weight. It is an emotionally draining journey some days. If you want to be honest with me, that is fine.  But talking to me in a tone that is belittling doesn't make me feel any better.  I thought we were here to support each other? 

I appreciate constructive feedback at any point throughout my journey. But a simple yes or no would have done fine. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/13 1:07 am - OH

I will be 6 years out in August, and, no, I didn't worry about a couple of pound "blip" on the scale because I know how the body  works (that you cannot suddenly, magically start gaining weight, that the amount of fluid in the body varies from day to day natural for everyone, etc), how many calories it takes to gain or lose a pound of fat, etc.  No, I never worried that I was done losing at 6, or 8 months out, or even at 9 months out when the scale didn't budge for NINE WEEKS.  Did I worry anout ow slowly i was losing the first month?  Yep.  Did I worry that I wouldn't lose as much as I wanted or that I would regain it after a few years?  Yes, absolutely.

Tone is VERY subjective in an online forum, and responses are often written as much for the OTHER people who are reading it as much as for the original poster. I am sorry if you found it belittling. After being here for over 6 years, I am constantly amazed that people abandon reason and think "emotionally" when it comes to the scale, which does nothing but cause them unnecessary distress.  If I had simply said "yes" or "no", neither you nor anyone else reading this post would have even taken 2 seconds to consider that they aren't being rational and creating themselves unnecessary stress and worry.

Lora

Jamie-Sue30
on 6/16/13 2:21 am
RNY on 10/24/12
Lora,

I guess you are one of the lucky ones then. It's as much of an emotional challenge for most as it is a physical challenge. I still see myself as the 380 pound woman that I once was and still have the same worries that I did before. It is something that I and many others have to work through and constructive support is always helpful.

Jamie

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/13 2:40 am - OH

Different people have different emotional challenges associated with their web and weight loss.  I don't think anyone doesn't have ANY.  

It doesn't change the fact that we are often our own worst enemies when we let our emotions rile rather than looking at tings objectively and rationally.  From where I sit, exhorting people to not that happen and create unnecessary stress IS constructive.

Lora

chipmunk_roasting
on 6/16/13 2:59 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

You know that song?,  "Tell Laura I Love Her"?

I'm changing it, officially, to "Tell Lora I Love Her".

A restrained, supremely intelligent, common sense response.

Yep -- new song title.   It's in my repertoire.

*hugs* too, Lora -- I hope the misery and pain of the damned kidney stones is relieved soon.

Marilyn (aka mmm)

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/16/13 5:02 am - OH

LOL.  (Yes, I am old enough to know the song!)

I know that some people bristle at my "raised by a Marine" straightforward approach (and that's ok), but at 50 years old, that isn't going to change.  Occasionally I have a client that it is a problem for (and I have a colleague locally whom I will refer people to if they are looking for a counselor who is always warm and fuzzy, and who has the patience to just pat their hands and then find ways to (eventually!) "sneak" in some education/insight/help), but most clients like having someone who can be compassionate when called for and straightforward when THAT is called for. 

Lora 

(Hopefully once I have the procedures on Wed. the stone pieces will pass quickly and I will be done with this kidney stone nonsense!)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 468 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 443 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 359 views