Osteopenia & Osteoporosis

Strjen
on 6/17/13 12:30 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Just curious if anyone has been diagnosed with Osteopenia or Osteoporosis since their WLS. I go to see the orthopedist tomorrow for my fractured leg & they believe I have Osteopenia. I'm scared. I don't want to be breaking all the time. I have enough bad luck as it is. Lol I'm sure they will have me do a bone density test & some blood work. I'm really scared that my body is not absorbing my Calcium Citrate (pill form) supplements & is taking it from my bones. I'm 35, I'm too young to have this happen. Anyway, if you did get diagnosed with either. What did you have to do as far as treatment for this?

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

poet_kelly
on 6/17/13 12:35 pm - OH

Do you know what your vitamin D level is?  If it's below 80, you won't absorb calcium well, no matter how much you take.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Strjen
on 6/17/13 12:57 pm - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

It was over 100 in Feb. They wanted me to stop taking it, but I reduced it to 1 a week of the 50k from vitalady. My Calcium lvl in Dec was 10.

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

poet_kelly
on 6/17/13 1:51 pm - OH

Well, vitamin D isn't the problem then.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Ladytazz
on 6/17/13 3:27 pm

I had my first WLS in 2002 and had a bone scan in 2006.  I never heard anything so I assumed it was fine.  Fast forward to 2012, a few years after my revision when I was sent for another DEXA scan and found out that I was osteopenic in 2006 and had osteoporosis at that point.  I had a Reclast infusion and my most recent scan showed great improvement and reversal of the osteoporosis.  My endo is thrilled and wants me to have 2 more Reclast infusions, this year and next, and then to wait a few years to see if I need any more.  The only problem is my calcium is low and he wants me to build that up so I have increased my calcium citrate to 4 doses a day (630mg each) instead of 3.  My D is great at 87 but my PTH is 99 because my body is leaching calcium from my bones.  So I will have another test next week to see if the increased calcium is helping.  

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

gbsinsatx
on 6/17/13 3:33 pm - San Antonio, TX

I had my RNY surgery on 3/22/2010. I was diagnosed with Osteopenia about 1 year after RNY. I was diagnosed with Osteoporosis 2 years after RNY. My Calcium and Vitamin D levels (as well as all other Vitamin and Mineral levels) are great! I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis and this is a contributing factor. I am 58 years old. I am using Forteo. It is an injection I give to myself daily for 2 years. It is the only medicine on the market that actually builds bone density. All the other medications on the market are for the prevention of additional bone loss. After taking Forteo for 2 years, I will have another DEXA (Bone Density) test performed and then go on a medicine for the prevention of additional bone loss.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

cajungirl
on 6/18/13 5:42 am

Good luck with the bone scan, definitely demand they do one.  How far back can you get copies of labs?  See what you can get (hopefully they have your D and such before surgery with pre-op labs) along with every one you had post-op.

You are young but it happens to young people too.  I have a cousin that had a complete hysterectomy at 30 and has had osteoporosis since 36. 

Options have improved tremendously in the last few years on how to stop bone loss and possibly improve bone density with meds.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Most Active
Recent Topics