Help for my son, PLEASE??!! I never had these problems!

Gilly68
on 6/19/13 3:58 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

Hi Ya'll. I am almost 7 months out and have had no problems. My son is about 5 months out, and he has recently begun becoming really sick after eating...almost everything. He is 24 years old. Surgery in Feb, down 110 lbs and was doing well (although he has always had to deal with more nausea then I ever did). Within the last week, when he eats, within a few minutes he is belching horribly, then gagging and foaming and appearing to be dumping (although I know that is only with sugar). He becomes pale, sweaty, feels like he is dying and then about 45 minutes to an hour later, he is fine.

My first concern was that he may be eating too fast, but I have been watching him and he doesn't appear to be. He takes small bits, chews well and then swallows and waits. My second concern was that it may be a stricture...but he has eaten some fresh fruit that didn't do it. (Also debunking the dumping disgnosis). He has also been able to eat a protein bar and a few whole grain tortilla chips with salsa and they sat ok. But we have tried fish, refried beans, tortilla meat, and protein shakes. All have made him really sick. He can drink water ok.. Any thoughts or advice??? HELP PLEASE??!!

poet_kelly
on 6/19/13 4:17 am - OH

What does his surgeon think is causing it?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gilly68
on 6/19/13 4:32 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

We haven't called them yet. We are currently out of state on vacation, and were just hoping that it is something that would pass...but it doesn't seem to be.  We go home Monday. And ideas, Kelly?

poet_kelly
on 6/19/13 4:35 am - OH

I'd call his surgeon today and ask if he has any ideas, and schedule an appointment for next week.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Gilly68
on 6/19/13 4:47 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

I just called the surgeon's office and left a voicemail for the nurse to call me back.

sadcock
on 6/19/13 4:51 am

Call the surgeon first of all.

Secondly, I had months of this type symptoms and still do occasionally. There were foods I didn't tolerate and some I still cannot tolerate (cereal, eggs, milk, almond milk, other dairy except for cottage cheese and yogurt,  for example)

He needs to go slowly in adding new foods and stick with what makes him feel OK. Stick with clean foods--not fried, processed and such. Simple fruits, vegetables, grilled/baked meats and fish, for example.

That would be my recommendations.

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/13 5:03 am

It may be his Liver - Gallbladder.  Good idea is if he can see a doc.  He may need surgery to remove the GB.. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Gilly68
on 6/19/13 5:12 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

Thanks guys. He doesn't have a gallbladder anymore. The fish was grilled. And he has had it before and it was fine. Protein shakes always make him sick, but they always have. He eats a lot of cottage cheese for protein (it is usually fine too). It has been over two hours now since he had the fish and he still feels horrible...normally it has passed by now.

Sherry T.
on 6/19/13 5:29 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

Was it prepared with anything?  Like maybe butter brushed on it?  It could just be bad fish.  My Mom had some oysters in Florida while we were on vacation and it took about a week for her to feel better.   

Hope that helps, keep us posted!

Sherry

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/19/13 6:14 am

He may still gets stones in liver or bile duct, even with no GB.  

Sorry he is not felling well,

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 438 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 328 views