Can't tolerate protein shakes

kelly.elizabeth
on 6/20/13 7:22 am - KY

I've been trying to drink the protein shakes and they make me sick every time. I've tried the Unjury powder (which is absolutely horrible) and the Pure Protein powder from Wal-Mart, but they all make me sick as soon as I drink them. Has anyone else had this problem and any ideas on getting in some extra protein?

poet_kelly
on 6/20/13 7:38 am - OH

Are you mixing it with milk?  If so, try water or soy milk.

Otherwise, try soy isolate or egg white protein powder instead of whey.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

aliceindietland
on 6/20/13 8:12 am
RNY on 06/11/13

The Nectar protein drinks are fruit flavors rather than chocolate/vanilla, and are a LOT thinner than most protein shakes - if you can handle a bit of whey aftertaste, they're more like drinking fruit juice. 

"The first thing I've got to do," said Alice to herself, as she wandered about in the wood, "is to grow to my right size again..." -- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: http://therightsize.wordpress.com   Twitter: @therightsize  HW: 365  SW: 346 CW: 254

Texas Girl
on 6/20/13 8:59 am

Alice, I love Nectar protein!

Connie wink

Miamos
on 6/20/13 8:22 am - OH
I had that issue I kept trying when I got further out I ask the doctor they said try protein bars. Now a can do protein drinks if made like smoothies with fruit yogurt and protein powder and a little bit of milk, but if it mostly milk I can't handle it
Texas Girl
on 6/20/13 8:55 am

Hi Kelly,

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty with protein shakes. I actually like Unjury and it is good quality protein for  weight loss. I mix mine in my Magic Bullet Blender(if you can afford it it is worth every penny) I use one scoop unjury vanilla, a few frozen blueberries or raspberries and one cup of Silk ( soy milk red carton) put in MB cup and mix in MBB. After I had surgery(almost 7 yrs ago)  milk made me feel bad, I can tolerate yogurt and a little 1/2 and 1/2  in my coffee but Milk is awful for me!

This is just works for me.  I also can tolerate pre-made bottle Lean shakes from GNC, they are lactose free and affordable at GNC Store. Pure protein is Awful I agree!

Hope you do better!

Connie wink

NDHM
on 6/20/13 9:37 am
I don't like them either. I tried using a straw (I know!) to see if it was the scent that was making me gag...um, not. I have no trouble with dairy, so I have been drinking skim milk for my protein.
Karen518
on 6/20/13 10:11 am

I actually enjoy choc and vanilla Unjury mixed together and I make my shakes with coffee.  Sometimes I add a little SF caramel syrup to change it up.  I hope you find something you can enjoy.

Ingrid K.
on 6/20/13 10:13 am - Canada
I tried some of the chocolate and vanilla shakes and hate them!!! I am going to try them with milk instead of water. I am only 3 days post op but in the hospital they gave me beneprotein from nestle and I mixed it with several different things. I have always been a big milk drinker and still love it after my surgery. I hope you find something that works for you. All the best
mjones.136
on 6/20/13 11:20 am - Augusta, GA

hey there! I had my surgery May 14th and I have yet found a protein mix that doesn't gag me or send me to the bathroom. Hopefully, I will have a better choice at my surgeon's office than at the store. They have a wide selection to choose from. When I finally find one that doesn't turn my stomach, I will let you know which one to try. Good luck on your journeylaugh.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 328 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 186 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 112 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 186 views