Disappointed - another stricture!

JulieIND
on 6/22/13 2:58 pm - Indianapolis, IN
I had a revision from the mini gastric bypass to the RNY becauase I developed a stricture that would not go away with dilation after six attempts. I was almost seven years post op, had lost 150 pounds, and was thrilled until I couldn't eat.

So after all the dilations, a new surgeon converted me to a RNY. I had multiple complications, including a heart attack, C diff infection, and half my spleen got killed, and I was released after nine days in the hospital. Then four days later, I started having bloody stools and had to be readmitted. They found out that was from having low blood pressure and lack of blood flow. So I spent four more days in the hospital and have been home four weeks. Last week, I started not being able to tolerate much food and went for a scope only to find out a have a stricture again!!! The doctor dilated it and I am hoping and praying it stays open this time. I have been severely malnourished the past eight months and have lost 40 pounds I did not want to lose. It's very depressing. I haven't been to work in over two months because complications keep arising and I'm afraid I will lose my spot. I'm am independent contractor and they don't have to save my job for me.

Anyways, just wanted to vent and maybe hear from some people who experienced strictures. I'm hoping it will work this time because it just happened and I waited quite a long time with the previous one before I treated it. It was a case of not wanting to face the music.
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/22/13 3:12 pm - OH

Unfortunately, if strictures were a problem with your original surgery and you have already had one with your RNY  the chances for having another one are pretty high.  Some people simply generate more scar tissue than others.  Contact your surgeon as soon as you have symptoms of one if it happens again.  {keeping my fingers crossed for you}

I'm sorry that you have had so many complications.  I have had a number of issues over the past couple of years (3 rounds of kidney stones; 18 months of intermittent, severe "mystery" pain that we eventually found was from scar tissue that was binding my intestine; knee pain and, finally, knee replacement) so I know how discouraging it can be to go from one thing to another to another.  Hang in there.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

JJ_
on 6/22/13 4:53 pm

OMG, poor you!  I hope your body no longer heals so much to start closing things off anymore (stricture).  That must be a whirlwind to have to be in the hospital so much.  I am sending prayers your way.

Take care.

Judy

PetHairMagnet
on 6/22/13 9:33 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

Oh my goodness, that sounds just horrible! I hope that this stricture was your last!!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

JulieIND
on 6/22/13 10:39 pm - Indianapolis, IN
Thanks, everyone! I really thought I was in the clear by having the revision. As a matter of fact, when they were talking about strictures at the pre-op class I had to attend before the revision, I thought to my safe, "Thank goodness I'm done with that!" I guess I thought wrong. I'm just so afraid they won't be able to fix thin one. And then what?!! They've already cut my stomach down to almost nothing. I don't know what else I can take.
Kat2013
on 6/22/13 11:06 pm - KY
Sending a prayer up for you, God is able!

Kathy

JulieIND
on 6/22/13 11:49 pm - Indianapolis, IN

Thanks. I read somewhere that they could possibly place a stent but my surgeon is not familiar with that. Anyone heard of that?

MsBatt
on 6/23/13 12:26 am

Yes, I have heard of that. I can't really tell you much about it, however. Just curious---given all the trouble you've had with strictures, did your surgeon not mention possibly revising you to a Sleeve instead? That would give you your pylorus back, and no stoma to become strictured.

JenniPenny
on 6/23/13 6:02 am - MN

I had a friend who was a post op who kept getting strictures too. She didn't follow the rules - no solid foods for 24 hours after the dialation for instance, and ended up with many. She was dialated 12 times. I think it was about a 2 1/2-3 yr period. Once she started following the rules right after the procedure and she was dialated enought that it didn't grow back, she hasn't had another one. Although she's moved away we still keep in touch every once in a while and she's still fine. Last dialation was about 8 yrs ago and she's still able to eat normally, no other complications, no more strictures and her weight is where she wants it to be. She was just one who made more scar tissue, was prone to strictures and eventually it wasn't a problem. Make sure you go as soon as you get one - waiting makes it worse. Get them taken care of, follow the rules for after the dialation and eventually you may not need any more either. Good luck to you.

Jen 11 yrs post op RNY

Wantasleeve2
on 6/23/13 7:14 am

Jen, I see you are 11 yrs. post op RNY.  Have you had any problems with it?  I am still considering what to do.  thanks, Patty

Most Active
Recent Topics