Questions about dumping

shedevilbecca
on 6/23/13 8:16 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13

So I have a few questions about dumping.

Last night I got pizza for the kids and I bought a little jalapeno  dipping sauce. I thought I could dip my chicken in it. However I did not think to read the info on it (I know....big mistake). Well a little over halfway through the sauce my heart started racing, I was sweating, running to the bathroom, and i started feeling awful. I thought oh no I bet the sauce had sugar in it! Well I got on line and looked it up. The sauce was low in sugar but high in fat! The little cup had 15 grams of fat!  It was a very hard lesson learned.

My question is this. How long do the effects from dumping last? I woke up this still running to the bathroom and feeling drained. My other question is will I dump from high fat will high sugar do the same thing (not that I plan on doing it)? I am almost a month out now and still learning so much. Thanks for the help.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/23/13 9:06 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I have not dumped, so I cannot comment on your question about that, but one thing I will share with you was some great advice from my nutritionist.

She said that VERY RARELY is anything you dip into, anything a person (WLS or not) should be eating. They are normally sodium/fat/sugar laden and horrendous. She said that yes, there are exceptions, but mostly, steer clear of them.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

shedevilbecca
on 6/23/13 9:32 am - AZ
RNY on 05/30/13
I think I will take that advice! If I need a dip of some sort I will make it! I use Greek yogurt with ranch.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/23/13 10:02 am - OH

Technically the reaction to fat isn't dumping (which is specific to sugar but is being casually expanded to include fat more and more frequently), but the reaction can be very similar. How long any kind of reaction to sugar or fat lasts has a lot to do with how severe the reaction is (how much of the offending item was eaten).  Normally, dumping from sugar doesn't extend into the next day, but the effects of too much fat frequently result in diarrhea the next day.

Some people dump on sugar but too much fat doesn't bother them; some people react to fat but don't dump on sugar; some people are bothered by both; some are bothered by neither.  No way to know how you will react to sugar based on your reaction to fat.  Sensitivity to sugar and fat often lessens as time passes, but it definitely does not happen that way for everyone.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 411 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views