Depo + rny = period

Katie K.
on 6/28/13 8:19 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
Seriously? How do I have any tissue in there to come out as a period? I'm 4 days post op and having a period. Just blood right now, thank God. Not looking forward to having an actual period as I lose weight and my hormones fluctuate. There's a reason I'm on Depo, and it's not for birth control.

Do the hormones overcome the Depo shot? Did you have pms? My pmdd was so bad I wanted to strangle people just for existing three weeks out of the month. Being that filled with hatred and anger is miserable. My pcp, psychiatrist, and therapist are all aware of my concern. I have a great support system but I'm so afraid of going through that again.

PetHairMagnet
on 6/28/13 9:49 pm
RNY on 05/13/13

It is the heparin (or whatever blood thinner they used) causing this. It isn't a true period according to my PCP. It is anything that was present releasing. I had an episode of bleeding for 4 or 5 days post op. Then again about a week later and then about 2 weeks after that. Thankfully--back to 'normal' now. :)

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

heather_leigh1990
on 6/29/13 12:20 am
You don't know how happy I am to here that! Lol I am on the Depo too but haven't had any bleeding. After reading the original post I was like are you serious?! I'm going to start having periods again?!?! ...whew glad that's not the case. I hate it and will only put up with it when we want another baby lol
Katie K.
on 6/29/13 1:48 am - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13
I would still use condoms if I were you. There's no telling what the estrogen dumps will do to the effectiveness of the shot.

heather_leigh1990
on 6/29/13 6:30 am
My surgeon said that if it was effective for me before that it should be just as effective after
lorimiller72
on 6/29/13 8:14 am - NC
Wow i am 7 weeks out and have an iud an have had a period every month since surgery my Dr. Said its just my body getting used to the weight loss
Most Active