Vitamins are making me sick!

changingmomma
on 7/11/13 12:04 am
I have never been a big vitamin person. Prior to surgery, I never really took them - and when I tried to take a "One-A-Day" when I was younger I would immediately vomit afterwards.

When I was pregnant, I had to take my prenatals right before I fell asleep because they also made me sick.

Surprisingly after surgery I was able to tolerate my multi-vitamins and Pepcid right off the bat. Now that I have added vitamin C, zinc, biotin, and calcium/vitamin D (which is taken 2 hours after my multi) I feel so nauseated and I physically have to lay down because I am so lightheaded.

Has this happened to anyone else? Maybe I should spread them out so I don't take them all at once?

Anyone care to share their vitamin schedule throughout the day!?

Thanks in advance
poet_kelly
on 7/11/13 12:13 am - OH

Yes, spread them out.  We need to do that anyway - we can only absorb about 500 mg calcium citrate at a time, and we need 1500-2000 mg a day (according to the ASMBS), so that means taking it three or four times a day.

Are you deficient in zinc?  Is that why you added it?

Why did you add the vitamin  C?  What about the biotin?  Those may be things you don't really need to take anyway.

Are you taking B12?  You do need that, but you might want to use the nasal spray or shots instead of sublinguals, if taking a lot of vitamins makes you feel sick.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

changingmomma
on 7/11/13 12:26 am
I do take the calcium/vit D 3 times a day - I know I didn't specify that in my post. Those actually don't make me feel sick but I know to space them out from the multi's with iron.

My surgeon recommends zinc and vitamin C - but it is up to me. I want to take them and see my labs at my next appt and go from there. The biotin is a personal choice that my surgeon is ok with.

I do take b12 - once a month shots.
poet_kelly
on 7/11/13 12:31 am - OH

So what do you think is making you sick?

If your zinc level is not low, there's really no need to take extra.  In fact, it's possible to take too much.  Vitamin C deficiency is very rare, and most surgeons don't even check your vitamin C level when they do labs.  It won't hurt you to take extra C, but it may not do you any good, either.  Same with biotin - that's a water soluble vitamin so if you take more than you need, you'll just pee out the extra, but taking more than you need isn't likely to benefit you in any way.  If you don't mind taking extra vitamins, then sure, go ahead and take them.  But if you're saying them make you sick, and you don't actually need them, I don't know why you'd want to take them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/12/13 9:52 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I had to move to powder and chewables. The pills fill me up and make me nauseated.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

VintageChick
on 7/12/13 10:00 am

I second the chewables. I tolerate them much better. I also spread them out, and the few that taste pretty good almost seems like a treat. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 238 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 269 views