Do incisions soften up?

Katie K.
on 7/12/13 9:09 pm - Maitland, FL
RNY on 06/25/13

Two and a half weeks out. My incisions are healing nicely but they're hard. Do they soften up?

ShadowHR
on 7/12/13 11:21 pm - WI
RNY on 04/04/13

Yes they do, I am 3 months post op and other than the discoloration they look and feel just like the rest of me.

Surgery Weight 245

poet_kelly
on 7/12/13 11:57 pm - OH

Usually, yeah.  And the color usually fades in time, too.  Most of the time, you can see a really big difference in just a couple months

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

RainbowRN
on 7/13/13 12:34 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

I'm 5 months out and they are pretty soft now.  Still slightly discolored but fading a little everyday. :)

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

(deactivated member)
on 7/13/13 2:51 am

You just reminded me I have incisions at all. They definitely soften and fade.

PetHairMagnet
on 7/13/13 3:27 am
RNY on 05/13/13

I am super fair and even 9 years later you can still see the incision scars from my first rotator cuff surgery.

I did not want to look like I had been chased (and temporarily caught) by a random slasher across my belly, so I rub in a very rich and thick cream on them each night. They are a creepy purple color against my very fair skin, but I hope like my other scars, they fade if I treat them daily without fail! 

Thankfully one is in my belly button, but the other 4 are very visible. They are soft though and I will be 9 weeks out Monday.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!