Calorie intake

jensieck76
on 7/19/13 1:41 am - TX
I am a little over two months out, I have kept to 800 cals but usually take in less. I cannot find anything about calorie intake amounts in my patient book from my surgeon and my NUT is out of the office until the 29th. Any suggestions? I do workout and get my water in daily.

For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength. Phillipians 4:13 laugh

CW 190!!! GW Anything under 200 was the icing on the cake...going for 170...lil more icing never hurt anybody!

poet_kelly
on 7/19/13 1:43 am - OH

If you get much exercise, you may need more calories than that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

MinnieMouse1
on 7/19/13 1:55 am
RNY on 12/06/12

My NUT said only to count protein and not worry about the calories if the foods are on the approved list.

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/19/13 2:33 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

This is a post I shared with someone a couple of days ago regarding calories:

It is so hard to switch to the new mentality of not counting calories or not waiting for a specific number on the scale!

It is so hard when they say, don't worry about calories, don't worry about carbs or the number on the scale. You don't need a specific goal weight. They just want you to count protein and get your water and vitamins in to you!

When I went for my 3 month appt. I pushed for more of a response and ended up being told the following:

Up to 900 calories per day on a non-exercise day. Bump it up to about 1200 calories if I get a good workout in. But, of course, these are just general guidelines. If I don't meet them, I don't believe it is the end of the world or anything.

Aim for the 60-90g of protein, 14-25g of fibre and at least 90g of carbs per day. May need more carbs too if I have a good workout. Otherwise, no gas left in the engine! This info was more strict, as in, they really want me to do this.

As for the goal weight, as always, I was told it isn't about the number, it is about how I feel and can I do the things I want to do (like ride my bike, play with my children, etc.)? I am kind of okay with this idea. I do have a range in my mind that I would like to fall into when I am done losing, hopefully it happens, but, I guess if I can do all I want and feel pretty good, it won't be the end of the world if that final number isn't in that range.

Good luck!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

gbsinsatx
on 7/19/13 4:08 am - San Antonio, TX

If interested, please see my profile page. This is the eating plan I created for myself.

Age at RNY: 55, Height: 5'4", Consultation Weight: 331 lbs-12/1/2009, RNY Surgery Weight: 281 lbs-3/22/2010, Goal Weight Reached: 141 lbs-6/23/2011, Lowest Weight: 126 lbs-12/11/2011

Current Age: 61, Current Weight: 161 lbs-5/20/2016Total Weight Loss Maintained: 170 lbs  

JenniPenny
on 7/19/13 8:31 am - MN

When I had my surgery a long time ago my doc has us on 300 calories by 3 months, 600 by 6 months, 900 by 9 months and 1200 by one year out and forever after that. Those on protein shakes or supplements (we weren't) are allowed a bit more. I'd say check with your doc or nut to be sure, but at 2 months out I'm sure you're to be on very few calories. Protein is important, I counted carbs, and calories but nothing else the first year. Protein intake was 64 gms per day the first 2 yrs. I worked out rigorously and got all my water in from early on. The caloric intake worked for me (and my surgeon's other patients). We are all on the same amounts and we lose enough the first year and don't feel deprived. good luck to you.

Jen 11+yrs post op RNY

MrsLitch
on 7/19/13 3:30 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I finally pressed my doc and his nurse at 3 months when he asked me why I wasn't exercising yet. I told him I'm getting in 500 calories a day if I exercise won't I go into starvation mode? His response was "500?? you should be at 800 by now. Exercise when you get there" so I'd say if you are working out 800 is a good place to start. Adjust as you need to.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

lumina99
on 7/20/13 1:29 pm - ME

I`m 4 months out and was told 900-1200, otherwise I will lose muscle. Don`t want to do that!!

Laura A.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?