Therapy?

Christy L.
on 7/16/13 7:39 am - TN

Anyone have experience with therapy for food addiction?  I am a 14 months past surgery and have been at the same weight for about 4-5 months.  I know I eat some things I shouldn't and I'm working on that, but I seem to obsess about food more than I think is normal.  For example, someone mentions a food and I can't stop thinking about that food until I finally eat it.  I do watch my calories but sometimes I am getting more than I should.  I haven't gained any weight, but I'm not losing at all anymore.  I think it's more than a stall.  I really want to get back on track - any advice is appreciated. 

Ericka K.
on 7/16/13 8:15 am

My program has a behavior modification piece to it.  The psychiatrist who runs it is a clinical psychiatrist.  If you choose to pursue therapy I would look for a clinical psychiatrist that specializes in behavior modification.  I know that component of my program was very very helpful to me.  I dropped a lot of bad habits way before surgery because I wanted to not because I had to (just yet).  Good luck. 

poet_kelly
on 7/16/13 8:25 am - OH

Psychiatrists usually don't do therapy.  There are exceptions, but they are all medical doctors, and they mostly diagnose mental illnesses and prescribe medication.  If someone wants therapy, they usually need to see a psychologist, licensed professional counselor, or licensed independent social worker.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 7/16/13 8:30 am - OH

Most psychiatrists don't do any kind of therapy, they generally only prescribe medication.  Any general psychologist, counselor, or social worker who has specific couseling training (not all SWs do) should be competent to work with you on both behavior modification and on exploring whether or not there is a psychological/emotional component to the food obsession (I personally think you are talking about an obsession rather than an addiction, and those are very different clinical beasts).

Your surgeons's office might have someone they refer people to, or your insurance can provide a list of providers that they cover.  Almost anyone should be able to handle Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT).  If you want someone with experience with eating disorders or food addiction that may or may be not be helpful (sometimes professionals who work with addictions will automatically treat you as if you HAVE and addiction to food even if you don't, and that might not work for you).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Christy L.
on 7/16/13 10:09 am - TN

Lora,

I think you are right - it does seem like an obsession.  Once it's in my mind I can't stop thinking (or obsessing) about it.  Some days are worse than others. I never realized I did this until after surgery.  I think this is how I got myself into the health that I was in.  I will check with my surgeons office.  I know I saw someone preop as part of the program, but we didn't really 'click'.  I've never been offered a follow up appt with her since.  I think I saw her 3 times before surgery and basically she just spent 5 min talking and that was it.  Thanks!

Christy

Most Active
Recent Topics