Is there a correlation between long term success and having plastic surgery?

65rosesmom
on 7/17/13 10:28 am

I've been thinking about this for awhile.  I had never considered getting plastics when I started this journey.  But I see that a large percentage of those long term veterans around here have had them done.   So I'm wondering if there is some relationship between long term success and having PS.   I use the term correlation because in stats it does NOT imply causation.  So I'm not saying that having plastic surgery makes you more successful in the long run, but I wonder if maybe there is something about the commitment to choosing plastic surgery that goes along with the commitment needed to be successful long term.  

Any thoughts on this?

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

poet_kelly
on 7/17/13 10:55 am - OH

Not that I know of.

I'm choosing not to get plastic surgery because I don't need it.  It is not medically necessary in my case, it would purely be cosmetic, and I can't afford it, but even if I could, I don't want to take the risks of major surgery just for cosmetic reasons.  I don't think that in any way indicates I am not committed to doing what I need to do to maintain my weight loss, though.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

65rosesmom
on 7/17/13 11:13 am

I'm sorry if it made it sound that I didn't think those that didn't get plastics weren't committed, because I totally don't feel that way.  I'm pretty sure I won't get plastics either.  I'm not perfect after the loss, but I'm really okay with what I have left.   

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

ToNewBeginnings
on 7/17/13 11:40 am

Not for me. I had plastic surgery. I thought it would help me be more committed to keeping the weight off but it hasn't. I gained weight after plastics. Not a lot, less than 10 but I did gain. I got too comfortable.

It's kind of like children getting a puppy. They swear up and down they will feed and walk the dog, and they actually believe they will, but the novelty wears off.

I am committed to staying in a normal BMI range because I see RNY as the final solution, there is nothing else. I also have worked really hard to get where I am and my life is so much better since I lost weight. I never want to go back to that morbidly obese hell again. I can't go back.

nfarris79
on 7/17/13 8:50 pm - Germantown, MD

Good question - never considered any correlation. I've only recently began entertaining the thought b/c the excess skin is really becoming excessive! I'm not sure if PS would really play into my long-term commitment or success, b/c I kinda see them as separate things..

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/17/13 9:30 pm
I don't think so.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Laura in Texas
on 7/17/13 10:19 pm

I have read studies that there is indeed a link and I believe it. For me this is definitely true. Mentally I could not handle the skin. I wanted to feel normal again. Now I do. I was self-pay which also helps me stay on-track. No way I'm messing this up.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Calla Lily
on 7/17/13 11:06 pm
RNY on 01/23/12

I don't know if it would play into my long term success or not, I guess time will tell, I HOPE that after going through my Rny surgery, and my tt that some light turned on in my brain and that I would not go back to my old ways, so maybe by having 2 extreme procedures done, it may help me remember  to stay on track... I totally get what you are asking, and can see how it would contribute to my own success because I'd feel like, I took 2 huge risks, I owe it to myself to stay committed. I know that looking at my flat belly, or not having a muffin to*****t having extra skin being tucked into my pants helps me enjoy the results of my weight loss, and like what I see, so that also would help me stay on track.... Looking in the mirror at what looked like 99 year old wrinkled up belly skin wasn't appealing, and I couldn't enjoy the results as much as I do now, if that makes sense.... If I like what I see, I'm more motivated to make it last! :)

RNY 01/23/12, HW 265, CW 115, Height 5'6"

exohexoh
on 7/18/13 11:34 am - West Chester, PA

ditto to everything calla said :-)

<3 jen <3

<3 starting weight: 252 <3 goal weight: 135 <3 current weight: 151 <3

RNY: 9/27/10 <3 Extended Tummy Tuck w/hip & thigh lipo: 6/6/13

chulbert
on 7/17/13 11:20 pm - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

It's a fascinating idea and it seems possible that the more you invest in your body, the more committed you are to keeping it that way.  Time, sweat, dollars, pain.  However, habits are hard to break so it may make no difference at all!

I don't know that it's been studied.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 434 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 430 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?