4 years post-op and feel very tired..........

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 9:32 am - OH

Are you taking B12 some other way?  You don't need B12 injections, you can take it sublingually or by nasal spray, but you do need B12.

Some people prefer to do the injections.  You can give them to yourself but you must have a prescription to buy the injectible B12 (you can get it at any pharmacy).

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:34 am

My doctor had me take a "bariatric supplement" 4xs daily which was supposed to cover all the bases but obviously something is out of wack! 

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 9:37 am - OH

Well, yeah.  I'm guessing you've been taking either Bariatric Fusion or Optisource, and to meet the ASMBS guidelines you'd need EIGHT a day, not four.  Plus you can't absorb the B12 in those because you don't have enough intrinsic factor in your pouch.  You need a sublingual B12, nasal spray, or shots.

You've been getting labs done?  What was your B12 level last time it was checked?  After four years with no B12, it has to be low, probably very low.  If it's below 550, it can make you tired and depressed, cause problems with short term memory, and trouble concentrating.

Also, if you take more than one of those tablets at the same time, the amount of calcium in them will block the absorption of iron in them, which would probably mean your iron would be low.

Have you had a bone density scan recently?  Because you're also not getting enough calcium citrate if you are only taking four of those a day.  I'd get a bone scan ASAP, if you haven't had one lately.

And I'd get a full set of labs right away.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:49 am

you should called Doctor Kelly!  I'm trying to write all this down now.  It is Baritric Fusion and was always told to take 4 a day never more but maybe things have changed and I'm 53 yrs old so who knows what changes are happening.  I'm going to list things you've mentioned it's a lot of help, a lot things I would have not remembered due my brain farts I write it all down now!  I don't care if I need a shot a day I just want to feel normal again!  Anyway thanks for your help!

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 9:54 am - OH

Things haven't changed.  The label on  Bariatric Fusion still says to take four a day, but the ASMBS guidelines are the same now as they were four years ago, and they say you need 200% of the RDA of most things and four Bariatric Fusion only has 100% of most things.

I'd be willing to bet you a lot of money (and I am poor) that your B12, iron, and ferritin are both low.  I'd also bet your PTH is high because you aren't getting enough calcium citrate.  Four Bariatric Fusion has less than 600 mg calcium citrate (the rest of the calcium in them is calcium carbonate, and we can't absorb that), and the ASMBS says we need at least 1500 mg calcium citrate a day.  Seriously, you need a bone density scan ASAP because you most likely have already started to experience bone loss.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 10:01 am

Thanks you've been very helpful should have gone back to this site prior to thinking it was a sinus infection, lol!

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 9:59 am

Just curious,

How often do you see your bariatric doctor?  Once a year?? Twice a year??  What is normal?

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 10:00 am - OH

I haven't seen my surgeon in years.  He closed his practice when I was six months post op, I found a new surgeon to do my follow up and she left her practice when I was about 18 months out.  Since then, I've just had my PCP order my labs.  I usually get them done every six months, but last time went a year between draws.  I had a bone density scan at one year out and plan to get another in a couple months.

Nanook609
on 7/25/13 10:02 am

I've never done the bone ds so hopefully it's still worth it since I've nothing to compare it to but thanks for all your help, I've copies and pasted it on a piece of paper for notes tomorrow and will check back and let you know how it goes, thanks again!!

poet_kelly
on 7/25/13 10:03 am - OH

It'll be worth it.

I look forward to hearing how it goes tomorrow. 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 486 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 73 views
Recent Topics