Low blood sugar impossible?

Kmc1204
on 7/31/13 1:02 am - NY
RNY on 07/01/13

I was told by a nurse that it's impossible for RNY patients this early out to have low blood sugar. Is this true? I find it hard to believe. But what do i know?

poet_kelly
on 7/31/13 1:03 am - OH

I don't know why it would be impossible.  Do you think you have low blood sugar?  It's an easy thing to test.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Kmc1204
on 7/31/13 1:06 am - NY
RNY on 07/01/13

I thought I did the other night so I asked at my appointment yesterday and that is what I was told.

Joyceebaby
on 7/31/13 1:10 am
RNY on 11/29/12

Heck no it's not impossible!  In fact is highly probable.  I don't know where this nurse got her information, but she needs to brush up on RNY.

Kat Kat
on 7/31/13 2:14 am - AZ

She's an idiot. If you suspect this to be an issue, then be sure to eat several small meals a day, put protein first and lay low on the refined carbs. If in doubt, you can buy a home glucose monitor. They are relatively inexpensive, but the strips are pricey, so compare because the savings on a lower priced monitor might actually not be the better deal.

Kat

chris_ruff
on 7/31/13 2:59 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

i honestly don't know where they find these people. i remember the nut telling me it was ok to have orange juice....after i had just spent a month in the hospital for an ulcer. yikes. its entirely possible. you were right to make the appointment. 

--Christina
Beyl689
on 7/31/13 3:57 am - Gonzales, LA
RNY on 07/11/13
I has to go to the er a week after surgery for a hematoma and they just decided to check my blood sugar and it was in the 60's. so is say its def possible!!

kinny09
on 7/31/13 4:40 am, edited 7/31/13 4:41 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13

I'm not sure if one would necessarily plummet very low early out, but LOWER asbsolutely! I am proof of that as I'm not longer on my metformin. I was so happy when I was being dischraged out of the hospital and asked my doctor if I should continue my Metformin for my pre-diabetes and he said I was fine to stop it and my numbers looked *perfect*. My fasting numbers used to be much higher pre-op and now I'm "normal". I suspect they will go lower over time as I consume a diet almost free of sugar and low carb. So I'd say if you had symptoms of low blood sugar it's important to get checked regardless of what the nurse said (and how stupid of her because if she's wrong in her ASSumption, she's risking YOUR health).

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

PetHairMagnet
on 7/31/13 9:10 am
RNY on 05/13/13

Gee whiz, I had it the first week. I thought I had reactive hypoglycemia, but after a few weeks it thankfully stabilized and now I don't go below 64 anytime I test and mostly stick in the 80s.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

dasie
on 8/2/13 1:59 am

I respectfully disagree with the nurse.

Most Active
Recent Topics