ABOUT TO SCREAM!

KristenRB82
on 8/13/13 6:06 am
Sorry guys, just needed to get this out.

Ok, so I'm in the beginning phase of gastric bypass and my insurance tells me that I have no requirements other than a BMI over 40 (which I do) however my surgeons office is telling me I need a 5 year history plus a six month weight loss trial (don't mind the six months). But there is NO way I can get together five consecutive years of having a 40+ BMI.

UHC Choice Plus is my ins company and they personally called and spoke to the surgeons office coordinator. They want this in writing. So UHC calls me back and suggest I get in touch with Human Resources, which I did. And she is telling me it's all online. I have been a member of myuhc.com for two years and I have NEVER seen anything about the requirements, let alone anything that even shows that they cover RNY.

I know every plan is different, it's all down to the plan that your employer buys. So it's very specific to the Estée Lauder company whom I work for.

What else can I do at this point???
ebtiger24
on 8/13/13 6:09 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Have you been to the doctor at least annually in the last 5 years?  All they need is a note with the weight listed on them. 

KristenRB82
on 8/13/13 7:30 am
I have a few years records, however in 2011 I lost a lot of weight from an unhealthy crash diet, so that's the weight I have on record for that year which dropped my BMI way down so I know I would be denied because my weight dropped so low that year.
poet_kelly
on 8/13/13 6:22 am - OH

Call HR back and tell them you cannot find the information online.  Ask them to give you the exact URL where you can find it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

KristenRB82
on 8/13/13 7:31 am
I did, hopefully she will call me back. She sounded like she couldn't be bothered and that there was nothing on her end she could do about it. It's just super frustrating.
Missella20
on 8/13/13 6:25 am
RNY on 07/11/13

I got my weight history from my gynecologist because I went there regularly every year. Could you try that!

HW 264    SW 234    CW 149    5'4" 

KristenRB82
on 8/13/13 7:33 am
Unfortunately, I didn't go to the dr as often I should have. For most of those years I didn't have insurance, and for one of the years my weight dropped pretty drastically from an unhealthy diet. So for 2011 it's way to low to be approved. And I cannot find any appointments I and at all in 2009...
bdaycakegirl
on 8/13/13 6:28 am

My surgeon's office told me the same thing. I called my insurance myself, and got them to email me the 36 page policy on bariatric surgery.  No where did it say that. It is standard, but not always.

I would call UHC and tell them you want them to email you a copy. I can never find stuff online.

KristenRB82
on 8/13/13 7:35 am
I'll try UHC again. The reps say that UHC themselves dont have access to that info either :/ I'm beginning to think that no one knows what is required haha it's so confusing and frustrating.

wnglrgrl241
on 8/13/13 6:42 am
RNY on 07/29/13

My insurance company also required the 5 year report.  They just wanted it to see my weight history for the last 5 years.  I only had to do a 3 month weight loss with my physician.  They wanted a 5% weight loss before I would be considered for the weight loss; which I did but then I had to lose another 15 lbs per my Bariatric Center 5 weeks before surgery on the Opti-Fast Shakes.  Don't give up, they just want all their i's dotted and their t's crossed!  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views