1 month out, but love to drink while I eat.. how bad?

JustMeNC
on 8/9/13 7:02 am - NC
How do you eat and not drink? I'm supposed to eat soft foods now and find I need a drink to swallow things down, old habits I guess.  I seem to love the 'fresh' feeling between bites.. but I'm not supposed to drink an  hour before or 30 minutes after.. its really hard..  What is the reasoning behind not drinking while eating?  
RNY 7-10-13    
karin602
on 8/9/13 7:08 am - MD
RNY on 07/30/13

Basically if you drink while you eat you are filling your pouch with liquids and not getting the food in that you need.  Plus the liquid goes through your system faster than the food and you may begin to feel hungry before the next meal.  I am allowed soup (through a blender) and that seems to help. 

Karin

poet_kelly
on 8/9/13 7:11 am - OH

Why aren't you supposed to drink for an hour before meals?  There is no reason I can think of for that.

The reason for not drinking with meals or right after is because it washes the food out of your pouch, so you get hungry faster.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

r0bynn
on 8/9/13 7:56 am - AR
RNY on 08/05/13
I was told this as well. My packet from my NUT says to stop 30 min before eating. Doesn't say much else but I'm assuming to make sure your pouch is empty enough for solids?
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/9/13 12:44 pm - OH

Your pouch empties of liquids very quickly.  If you stopped drinking only 5 minutes before you ate, your pouch would still be empty.  I would ask your nutritionist WHY (s)he says no drinking 30 minutes before when the pouch empties of liquid almost immediately.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

gwynnkitty
on 8/9/13 7:11 am - North York, Canada

The opening between your pouch and your intestine is about the diameter of a dime. If you're drinking while eating, you're watering down the contents of the pouch and allowing more to slip through. Over the long run, this means taking in more calories than you would otherwise.

Hope this helps! :)

Referral to Surgeon: February 12, 2013 Appointment with Surgeon: April 24, 2013 Endoscopy: April 30, 2013 Referral sent to Bariatric Registry: May 2, 2013 Orientation Appointment: May 27, 2013 Dr Klein Appointment: June 6, 2013 Second Upper GI Series: June 11 Dr Glazer: August 12, 2013 RN/RD/SW: August 29. 2013 Follow-up With Dr Klein: September 23, 2013 Start Opti: October 23, 2013 Surgery Date: November 14, 2013 

Ladyintheloop
on 8/9/13 7:14 am - TX
RNY on 07/08/13

Drinking allows you to flush food through the pouch which allows you to eat more.  This defeats the purpose of having a pouch.  There are some other consequences but this one is super important. 

Amanda M.
on 8/9/13 7:19 am
RNY on 01/18/13

My doctor told me the biggest cause they have seen for slow weight loss or weight regain is drinking with meals. It can cause you to essentially eat and eat and eat. It sucks not being able to drink. I used to have to drink after every bite. But surprisingly, I find the drinking isn't a big deal anymore. You need to focus on making that change now, otherwise you really are going to have a hard time later. 

bluesfan
on 8/9/13 7:22 am - FL
RNY on 07/08/13

My program allows me to drink right until my first bite of food, then I have to wait an hour after my meal before having something to drink. It is not easy to break old habits but there is reasoning behind it.  If you drink and eat at the same time, the liquid flushes the food from you pouch and you have a tendency to eat more to get that "full" feeling. The more calories you consume the greater your chances of weight retention.  Hopes this helps you and you make the adjustment without much difficulty.  Good luck !  You can do it .

JustMeNC
on 8/9/13 7:27 am - NC
ah makes sense, thanks everyone...I'm working on it that's for sure especially now, knowing this.
Most Active
Recent Topics