Herbalife vs Syntrax Matrix Opinions

Strjen
on 8/11/13 12:27 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

Ok, so for about a year now I've been doing the Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie protein shake daily for my post workout shake. Recently I've been trying Herbalife shakes since they come to my work every Tuesday & they seem to taste pretty good & keep me full for quite some time. Just curious your opinions on the Nutritional facts. I will give the nutritional facts for both that I use. I know that Herbalife has more carbs & sodium than the Matrix, but not by that much. Herbalife is soy based vs Matrix is whey isolate based. I take what everyone says with a grain of salt & everyone has a right to their opinion. Thanks in advance!

Herbalife shake (Turtle Cheesecake)

Calories: 285

Total Fat: 6.5g

Sat Fat: 0.2g

Cholest: 0mg

Sodium: 965.5g

Carb: 31.1g

Fiber: 4.3g

Sugars: 10.1g

Protein: 24.3g

Syntrax Matrix Mint Cookie w/1% milk

Calories: 242

Total Fat: 4.9g

Sat Fat: 2.5g

Cholest: 52.2mg

Sodium: 237.4mg

Carb: 18.2g

Fiber: 0g

Sugar: 15.7g

Protein: 31.2g

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

chulbert
on 8/11/13 1:41 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Between the two, Herbalife looks like the clear winner to me.  Less saturated fat, less sugar, more fiber, lower calories.

However, I'm always an advocate of eating real food above all.

TXKashmir
on 8/11/13 1:46 am - Grand Prairie, TX

I just wanted to chime in and say  - after RNY, our bodies absorb whey protein better than soy protein. Soy protein is better than none, but not nearly as good as whey. But, I do agree with the previous poster that the best source of protein is real food.

Debbie
Keeping track of my progress without a scale...Starting size: 28-Current size: 6-Goal size: 14

sand SAND...it's not a club...it's a frame of mind...

MrsLitch
on 8/11/13 1:58 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

syntrax would be the clear winner to me. the carbs alone would make me sway that way, add in the protein amount and the fact its way i would go that way. that being said if the other tastes better i may mix it up a bit and still have that a couple times a week for a change up

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

NewDayForTrixie
on 8/11/13 2:58 am

The guidelines from my dietician are as follows:

Per 8 oz protein drink (include the nutrition for milk if that is what you are using to mix - 8 oz of skim milk has 12g carbs, 8 protein, 0 fat, and 90 calories)

Total Carbohydrate: 25 g or less

Protein: 20-30 grams

Total fat: 5 grams or less

Calories: ~200 or less

Personally, I'd go with the Syntrax.  You may want to double check your post op diet documents to see which is closer to those guidelines.  

The Salty Hag
on 8/11/13 3:19 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I'm wondering why there is so much sodium in the Herbalife shake.
If it were me, I'd stay with the Syntrax. Why fix what isn't broken? If you need more variety, maybe you could alternate.
Silverbelle69
on 8/11/13 4:03 am - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

Mint Cookie is my #1 favorite food.  I would pick that purely based on taste.    I mix it with water (lactose intolerant) and it gives me hydration too.  I wish I could live on it.   But I admire you for trying to find the best nutritional value.

ebtiger24
on 8/11/13 11:16 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with

Is the Herbalife pre-made or do you add milk?  I drink Matrix, but up I use skim milk so my carbs, sugar, and calories are lower  I also add fiber powder too it and still come lower. 

BlancheJackson
on 8/11/13 1:22 pm - Butler, PA

Syntrax Matrix is my protein of choice!  However, maybe if you switch from milk to unsweetened almond milk?  Many less calories and carbs!  I use it for everything except baking... only cow's milk bakes well.

Blanche Jackson    352/314/258.6/180  

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 411 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 352 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?