What would you do (pills)?

averybyrd
on 8/29/13 2:14 am

I was told to crush ALL pills (even my 2mg pain pills) by my surgeon. When I saw how many people here were swallowing pills even in the hospital, I called and asked when I'd be able to start swallowing pills again. 

His response was "you can no longer do that." So... Never?!

I'm taking Celexa which is amazingly horrible to crush and take. I've put it in everything, but the taste is overwhelming. I'm at the point where I don't think I can continue to cru**** If I knew I'd only have to do it x more times, I might be able to power through, but I almost feel like it's a choice of wean myself off and hope for the best or swallow it whole against my surgeon's advice. 

So, would you swallow it? Is there some reason why my surgeon tells people never to swallow pills again but others can? Could he have done something different pouch-wise that would make a difference, or is he just overly cautious? What would you do in this situation?

The Salty Hag
on 8/29/13 2:25 am
RNY on 05/20/13
Every surgeon is different. I was allowed to take pills while still in the hospital. ( 2nd day ).
How far out I was from surgery would play a role in what I may do. Earlier out, I'd definitely stick with my surgeon's instructions. Later on, I'd probably chance swallowing pills if they weren't huge. That being said, only you can really decide what you want to do.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/29/13 2:30 am - OH

My personal opinion is that your surgeon is being extremely over cautious.  I would ask him on what medical evidence he bases his indication that you can never swallow pills again (and point out that many, many surgeons allow people to swallow small pills (less than M&M size)) right after surgery with no problems whatsoever.  Ask him what you are supposed to do with pills that the manufacturer indicates should NEVER be crushed.

Then, do whatever makes sense to you.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

poet_kelly
on 8/29/13 3:34 am - OH

I would ask your surgeon why he says you can never swallow pills again even though the ASMBS says it's fine to swallow pills as soon as you can tolerate doing so.

No, I don't think he did something so different and unusual to your pouch that you cannot swallow pills even though most RNY folks have no trouble doing so.  But you can ask him if he did something different and unusual to your pouch.

So I would discuss all this with him, and unless he gave me a good reason why I could not swallow pills, I would take the word of the ASMBS and start swallowing them.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/29/13 7:42 am
RNY on 05/13/13

One of the few times I would ignore the surgeon. Ridiculous!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Cindy W.
on 8/29/13 8:09 am - Madison, CT
I was to crush or take liquid for the first 2 weeks...now I can swallow pills (as long as they are smaller than an M&M). My doctor also said capsules are a good choice.
LadyLilMax
on 8/29/13 8:16 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

I feel for you as my surgeon was pretty cautious too and wanted me to crush for 3 months.  When I read all the people on here were taking whole pills, I called and they said I could try.  This was at 2 months.  I just could not take the taste of the crushed pills.  Swallowed those whole pills like a pro!  

Got a question for you. What are you taking the celexa for and if it is for pain, this is something as rnyers we can use?  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

poet_kelly
on 8/29/13 9:23 am - OH

Celexa is an antidepressant and yes, RNY folks can take antidepressants including Celexa.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

LadyLilMax
on 8/29/13 11:57 am - Retirement Ville, AZ

Thanks, Kelly.  Do you know if it is ever prescribed for arthritis and or fibromyalgia?  

RNY 12/11/12  HW:230   SW:220   GW:140   CW:130  5ft 1

poet_kelly
on 8/29/13 11:58 am - OH

Not that I am aware of.  Are you maybe thinking of Cymbalta?

Most Active
Recent Topics