Clothes and confidence

Karens62
on 9/11/13 1:17 am, edited 9/11/13 1:20 am - NC
RNY on 02/26/13
Well, summer is over and, in my world, that means a bit more formal dress for client visits. I bought a suit jacket and pants in July and have been making that work along with tops from Gwynnie Bee and a couple of soft blazers from an outlet store. But that's not going to wok for fall and winter. I need business suits.

I had a one day trip to Indy yesterday with my boss to meet a new client. This meant I had to look professional and my suit jacket kind of looked like a little girl wearing Dad's clothing.

For the first time I can remember, I was able to zip into a store (Dillards) Monday night and came out with a new jacket as well as two pairs of slacks - one in my current size and one a size smaller. (Slacks were on huge discount so if i skip a size, thats okay). They are still plus size but the 1x world of plus size not the "barely fit into 3x" world. i was also able to purchase a pair of nice shoes, not discount shoes, because I no longer need wide shoes.

I hadn't been in a mall in over 8 years. I hadn't fit in department store clothing , even most plus sizes, for at least that long.

I know everyone says don't spend money on clothes now, you won't be in them long enough for it to count, but take an opportunity to treat yourself. Spend a little time, and money if you have it, and go to a "real"; store. Wearing high quality clothing really does make a difference in how you look, how others react to you, and for me it was the mental boost I needed as the weight loss starts to slow. Most of my current clothes are discount, goodwill or outlet, but having a couple nice things in the closet boosts my self confidence. I have never been a clothes fanatic but I am finally starting to appreciate that the right clothing for the situation does make an impact.

On the trip yesterday, no one commented on my appearance. I looked normal. I took 4 flights and didn't have to worry about fitting in the seats. I wore heels all day and wasn't worried they would break from the stress. I traveled from 4am to 1am, was able to maintain a WLS friendly diet, had enough energy to drive the 1 1/2 hrs home from the airport when I landed late last night, and got no dirty looks from the folks who sat next to me on my flights. It's all good.

HW - 319, SW - 303.5 

The Salty Hag
on 9/11/13 1:57 am
RNY on 05/20/13
I'm very happy for you! It sounds like you had a really great trip yesterday! Yay for comfy flights! I'm looking forward to the day I fly somewhere now, and I always dreaded it.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

(deactivated member)
on 9/11/13 2:11 am

That must have been an awesome feeling.It is one of my dreams to be able to shop in regular stores. We have outlets where I live and I can only go in two of them. Congratulations.

karenp8
on 9/11/13 3:41 am - Brighton, IL

Congratulations on your day full of victories.

Barbara C.
on 9/11/13 4:44 am - Raleigh, NC

Congratulations on all of the successes that you've been enjoying.

Wishing you continued success,

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Jewelsstevens
on 9/11/13 5:25 am - Crandall, TX
RNY on 09/18/12

I agree with you regarding the clothes and confidence. I just wish I could afford them. I am wearing stuff that is indeed entirely too big. If I take my belt off, my pants fall down LOL. It is definitely a bittersweet problem to have!

Congrats on your NSV's!

Loveymae
on 9/11/13 7:13 am

You are my inspiration today! What a great story to share with us to inspire and motivate us!  Thank you! 

SW: 307    

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 9/11/13 12:22 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

I spend the money on clothes also.  I have to feel like I look professional.  I have been to the thrift stores and I just can't find things that I like or that fit correctly (I'm tall).  Love the sales at Dillards, was just there two nights ago.

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Michelle H.
on 9/12/13 9:36 am
RNY on 01/24/13
In the professional world we need to spend some money along the way. I have been trying to do a lot of mix and match and found some super cute dresses at Sams club of all places to wear under jackets. I know what you mean about airline travel. Such a good feeling not to have to squeeze into a seat, use a seat belt extender if have others look at you all the while they are praying you are not in the seat next to them.

Keep up the great work!

MyLady Heidi
on 9/12/13 2:44 pm

For fun I try on things that I really don't need and snap a pic in the dressing room just because I can.  I would love a new wardrobe in my current size but I can't justify it.  I love clothes and wear loads of dresses in summer but for fall its all about the jeans and thigh high boots.  Boots are my passion.

Enjoy your new clothes.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?