Scared...need reassurance.

jenmcg
on 9/11/13 11:56 pm - MN
RNY on 09/16/13
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I think that now that off voiced my fears, it's easier to think straight. I'm still scared beyond belief...but...I obviously choose to continue the whole process to get here, knowing the risks. I guess I'll be a compression hose wearing mama for a while. When I called the surgeon's office, the nurses didn't sound at all concerned...so maybe I should try not to be too. Thank you all.
cjd3161
on 9/12/13 2:38 am - TX

I'm glad I read your post to see all the different answers that you received.  My surgery has not been scheduled yet but I hope to get the news within the next few days.  I too take hormone pills and I was told that I would need to stop them for a period of time before my surgery but was given no specific amount of time.  I have been cutting back to slowly wean myself off of them so that I would not kill my husband stopping cold turkey, LOL.  So with all of this being said I think I might just go ahead and stop all together.  I hope you will continue to post after you have your surgery, I would love to follow your progress since we will be close in dates of our surgery.  The closer I get the more scared I am as well.  I think that is a normal reaction with any surgery though.  Good luck to you and I bet you will do just fine!!

Cathy

DarwinS
on 9/12/13 5:59 am - NM

I am not sure about the birth control thing, because I am a 61 yr old male and RNY scheduled for 9/24.  And i understand the whole nervous thing, it's only natural.  But I too have been through a surgery with a high risk of blood clotting, not a slightly higher risk for blood clot, but high risk, because of being heavy, poor blood circulation, and being diabetic.  My only regret right now is that I didn't have this surgery, 30 yrs ago, so I wouldn't have all these health issues now at 61.  I went into the hospital 3 yrs  ago for and angiogram, the gal that did the angiogram, said you need work and I can't do it here, we are scheduling surgery as soon as we can,and a couple hours later, I had triple bypass surgery.  I didn't have time to think about blood clots or anything else.

I guess the main reason i felt moved to comment and reassure you, is that you look fairly young.  Instead of thinking of the what might go wrong, think of the years and years you will have with your hubby and children after you do this.  No diabetes,no heart problems, if I could go back 30 or 40 yrs and change that I would in a heart beat, but back then when I checked into WLS it was a big deal, back then, not  say it's not big deal now, but it is a heel of a  lot less invasive now.

Just relax, take a deep breath, stay positive, walk, walk, walk as soon as you can, even if it is just to the end of the bed and back, you will be ok.  

I hope I didn't make it worse but I will be having surgery a week and a day after you, I am more worried about driving home a day or 2 after surgery that the blood clot.

Darwin

jenmcg
on 9/13/13 1:06 am - MN
RNY on 09/16/13

Darwin, Thank you for your response. Certainly helps me put things in perspective!! I'm glad you make it through everything okay. It certainly helps me breathe easier!! 

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 486 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 487 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 73 views
Recent Topics